Westinghouse poweraire "vader"

Alex Koh

I just aquired my first "vader" poweraire fan and am quite exited to own one of these. Unfortiunately somone ended up gutting all of the wiring out, removed the speed coil and the guard has some spotwelds that broke. Otherwise I'm quite exited to get it working in the near future. IMG_3946.jpgIMG_3947.jpgIMG_3944.jpgIMG_3941.jpg

1 hour ago, Alex Koh said:

I just aquired my first "vader" poweraire fan and am quite exited to own one of these. Unfortiunately somone ended up gutting all of the wiring out, removed the speed coil and the guard has some spotwelds that broke. Otherwise I'm quite exited to get it working in the near future. 

Never panic. Please STAY excited. PATIENCE my man. They are not rare. I have run into them in past in tough cosmetic shape, but the guts are still inside the fan! Just put it on the backburner for a while.

Edited by Russ Huber

I put a meter to the motor and it ohmed out and I gave it a test run and it works. In the mean time I'm going to leave this on the backburner until I have more time to work on it. (Exuse the sketchy wiring setup, I didn't have any proper wiring on hand to test it safely.)

On 4/10/2023 at 9:54 PM, Tony Clayton said:

Oh my your in for a ruff ride. The missing speed control is also a step up transformer.

Tony is this the coil I am missing?
attachment.php?id=112152

• 9 months later...
On 4/14/2023 at 6:38 PM, Tony Clayton said:

Here is a photo of a fresh new 16. I don't happen to have a photo handy of a 12 at the moment. 

Screenshot_20230414-183525_Gallery.jpg

Nice! I'm mid-restore on an old Westinghouse Vader (my first fan). Been doing cosmetic stuff lately as I'm afraid of the rabbithole for the wiring, but I'm running out of things to clean.