Dayton Model 50 base removal

Vic Valencheck

Is there a trick in removing the pivot screw? I don't see any set screws that would hold it in place. Does it turn CW or CCW? I used Blaster penetrating oil, no go.

20230413_130245.thumb.jpg.9f68f0208615289e5fbfc02992ebb7d9.jpg20230413_130359.thumb.jpg.6b1c28937fba0dee9150344316b74582.jpg20230413_130342.thumb.jpg.be206c69688b1ac7e51964ae22b7e5ad.jpg 

Vic, I just responded to your PM on this topic, but the pics you and Russ posted above show how the screwdriver slotted disk can accept a smaller screwdriver at as shallow an angle as possible and then be tapped in a counter clockwise (lefty loosey) manner.  Mine started turning fairly easily, but you might want to try a little heat if impact doesn't work.  Just have to be cautious about getting the pot metal too hot.

Jim

Success !! Thank you Jim and Russ for your valuable information. I ended up getting the screw off by tapping the edge of the slot with a small screwdriver. Better to ask for help then destroy a project. 

20230414_142106.thumb.jpg.4850d0d49301d74f57f7b7a36b1d7fc5.jpg

Congrats Vic, glad to hear it's off and no attendant damage!  On the motor housing nuts and studs, the rod that goes thru the housing is just threaded on each end, so try with two screwdrivers, one on each nut and see if one will start.  If so, get that one off and drive the stud through the housing so you can put it in a vice to remove the other nut.  Hopefully that'll work.  Jim

6 minutes ago, Jim Humphrey said:

Congrats Vic, glad to hear it's off and no attendant damage!  On the motor housing nuts and studs, the rod that goes thru the housing is just threaded on each end, so try with two screwdrivers, one on each nut and see if one will start.  If so, get that one off and drive the stud through the housing so you can put it in a vice to remove the other nut.  Hopefully that'll work.  Jim

I did eventually get the nuts off on the motor. I also removed the stator by using the pc pipe. 👍

1 hour ago, Jim Humphrey said:

Here's my Model 50 after I got it finished.  Must have been around some Christmas time...

IMG_4886.JPG

Fantastic job! 👍Hope mine comes out close to it. Haha