How do I remove an Emerson 77646-CE oscillator gearbox?

Hannah Dannehy

I just got a derelict one of these from a shop, and the best I can say for it right now is that the blades made a game attempt to start spinning when I plugged it in. It's clearly been in someone's shed for eons. I can't tell how to get the oscillator box off so I can remove the grease which by now is probably wax. I undid all three screws (two top, one bottom) and nothing moved.

I hope this isn't a frequently asked question. If it is, apparently I don't know the right search terms. I already am following the instructions I've found on here for stuck blades, but I haven't found anything about stuck oscillator boxes. Thank you!

It is gummed up from the old grease. Those have a snug fit anyway & after the old grease turns hard, they don’t want to move. Try to twist the box & try to ease a small screwdriver between it & the rear motor housing.

13 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

It is gummed up from the old grease. Those have a snug fit anyway & after the old grease turns hard, they don’t want to move. Try to twist the box & try to ease a small screwdriver between it & the rear motor housing.

Thank you so much! I twisted it and it came right off. It's amazing how one person's experience can save someone else several hours of frustration.

• Like 1

Hannah, my wife and I will be hosting a meet in the York, PA area in mid September. There will be a ton of fans for sale and many experts there to answer questions. And there will even be a work table with tools available. Info can be found in the calendar.  RSVP required .

Edited by Lane Shirey

19 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Hannah, my wife and I will be hosting a meet in the York, PA area in mid September. There will be a ton of fans for sale and many experts there to answer questions. And there will even be a work table with tools available. Info can be found in the calendar.  RSVP required .

I'd love to if I can make it.