Edison C-Frame Battery Fan

Dennis Parmley

What is the best or safest voltage to run my C-frame Edison battery fan on. It seems to run fine on a 6 volt battery, but would greatly appreciate any input as what it should be run on. THANKS. 

9 minutes ago, Dennis Parmley said:

What is the best or safest voltage to run my C-frame Edison battery fan on. It seems to run fine on a 6 volt battery, but would greatly appreciate any input as what it should be run on. THANKS. 

I was told 6vdc.  I use 6 VDC battery.

• Like 1

Originally,...
   four "S" cells in series.

73630_261742_390000000.jpg.4fad82798b73e5f8a5c4b1bf3f1f2c0c.jpg

An "S" cells is ⅔ of a volt.

Screenshot_20230414-093312_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d15f46a7214a78d9423fc15f83a69240.jpg

Four "S" cells in series
    would be ⅔ x 4,...
which is 2⅔ Volts.

I know many collectors
run their C-frames on
6 volts and I don't think
it's detrimental.

For later model C-frames with 12 sections on the armature they can definitely run just fine at ~2.8V (see first video below) which is in agreement with the excellent documentation provided by @Jim Kovar

For the earliest C-frame's with only 6 sections on the armature I believe that 6V is needed, but I don't have any documentation to back it up, just an experimental observation (see second video below).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curt Davis said:

For later model C-frames with 12 sections on the armature they can definitely run just fine at ~2.8V (see first video below) which is in agreement with the excellent documentation provided by @Jim Kovar

For the earliest C-frame's with only 6 sections on the armature I believe that 6V is needed, but I don't have any documentation to back it up, just an experimental observation (see second video below).

That's awesome!

I have found that my later C-frame Edison likes 3-4 volts I think.  I run on a variac to where it seems happy and not running too fast.

I'd at least try the cheap and easy way first.

Screenshot_20230414-171231_Chrome.thumb.jpg.735569d2af4a52436bf8f960292b4e5b.jpg

An electro-geek would prob'ly have such a thing in his stash?

I'd think a 3A rating would be enough?

Most switching power supply wall-warts protect themself from over current (a shorts or heavy inrush currents) by shutting down.

Edited by Jim Kovar

I use power supplies all the way up to 32v.dc... Great for odd dc voltages...

I find nearly all of my dc power supplies at Good Will stores... dc measurements on the power supplies are in milliamps... So you need 1500 milliamps = 1.5 amps dc...