Toshiba Type ADF-30R-2

Alex Koh

I have had great interest to try adding foreign made fans into my collection. I purchased this fan about 2 months ago and promptly forgot about it until it showed up at my door. I know virtually no information other than I believe it is from the early 1950s. From trying to find more information I did see (from google images) they made a 16in model, models with open guards, and some under their older name “Shibaura Engineering Works”.

BB0CF8C3-E02E-41C3-AD12-A20A60AB358B.thumb.jpeg.1828cf0b4be0f1a77c3cd88f6ed4322a.jpeg
781BB555-AA35-4AFA-B7A5-B46E57AB93FF.thumb.jpeg.56f98ea2eddbfd8ff517de92ebeab5a7.jpegB8DA7C3E-C333-4617-B6E9-3A3040BFDBAA.thumb.jpeg.1e019ffe82db14a3c16a862042eebb12.jpeg860BA8AE-D19A-46FA-A296-CECD2C432F91.thumb.jpeg.37446a5039a0125c5511f9d8702b04c1.jpegAFC98405-5A67-498D-AA6D-93ADDE359D22.thumb.jpeg.ace1087404fcec6c8261d08a5b2ab2da.jpeg

Two of the spot welds here rusted off.

BFBCDF87-FCDD-42FF-A7C6-9BA7C810CE85.thumb.jpeg.2c8a5a6cad90931b1427849925189255.jpeg

17 hours ago, Alex Koh said:

Yes this came in from Japan postage as shown by the first image.

Any tips and what website you used. Trying to get one. A much more odd one 

5 hours ago, Arjun Saini said:

Any tips and what website you used. Trying to get one. A much more odd one 

I bought mine ebay but the shipping cost me just as much as the fan. Austin Ko told me you can some Japanese fans in the states as some came in from immigrants or war veterans. Almost a year ago I did see an early Toshiba that got auctioned off on eBay. Just be patient you’ll find one eventually.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Very nice, I am collecting prewar Japanese tube radios too, only issue is the 100V stepdown.  I got a Kotatsu a while back and that ran but the fan and heating element were straining pretty hard.

On 7/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, Chris Jacobsen said:

Very nice, I am collecting prewar Japanese tube radios too, only issue is the 100V stepdown.  I got a Kotatsu a while back and that ran but the fan and heating element were straining pretty hard.

A 100V AC Fan or Heater should be able to run just fine on 110-120V AC no stepdown transformer needed, the only time you need a stepdown transformer is when you're attempting to run a 220-240V fan on 110-120V AC Current. 

28 minutes ago, Rod Rogers said:

Don't you mean a step up transformer?

yes, that's what I meant, sorry about that, I get the terms mixed up. 

4 hours ago, Levi Mevis said:

A 100V AC Fan or Heater should be able to run just fine on 110-120V AC no stepdown transformer needed, the only time you need a stepdown transformer is when you're attempting to run a 220-240V fan on 110-120V AC Current. 

Actually 15-20V makes a considerable difference.  To use Japanese appliances in the US you should always use a step DOWN to the device.  If using a US appliance in Japan it is step UP.  The 20V makes the heater coil burn up and the motor runs hard.  You especially do not want to run a 100V hair dryer, those actually melt on 120V.  

My last trip over there, in Japan the clothes take forever to dry though in China with 220V, water boils in an instant with the portable water boiler!

1 minute ago, Chris Jacobsen said:

Actually 15-20V makes a considerable difference.  To use Japanese appliances in the US you should always use a step DOWN to the device.  If using a US appliance in Japan it is step UP.  The 20V makes the heater coil burn up and the motor runs hard.  You especially do not want to run a 100V hair dryer, those actually melt on 120V.  

My last trip over there, in Japan the clothes take forever to dry though in China with 220V, water boils in an instant with the portable water boiler!

That's odd because I've ran plenty of old Japanese electronics like old tube radios or Solid State Stereo Receivers that were rated for 100-120V AC and the Radios ran fine on our 120V AC...🤔 

3 minutes ago, Levi Mevis said:

That's odd because I've ran plenty of old Japanese electronics like old tube radios or Solid State Stereo Receivers that were rated for 100-120V AC and the Radios ran fine on our 120V AC...🤔 

100V tube radios are not safe to run on 120, the B+ ends up being far too high for the tubes and especially the filter caps.  We always run step downs for them or add a series load at least.  The higher voltages can also roast the power transformer.  Many radios that were built for export possibility will have taps on the transformer to run 120V or 100V for safety and reliability.  I have a few 1930s Japanese tube radios, the power transformers and tubes are extremely rare and it would not be wise to over drive them.

Well I guess that goes to so say that my 1969 Pioneer SX-1000 TD does have a multi-volt tap on the back and its currently set to 117V AC but it seems to be happy at that voltage. 

But I did have a late 1950s early 1960s Hitachi made tube radio AM/FM unit that when I used it it ran fine and it looked to be rated 100-110V AC on the back, but it was a series string set, no transformers in it, except the audio output transformers, although the radio had very poor reception (although My guess is that the radio may have been an export model but maybe made on a friday because the FM Dial was the US version of the FM dial as the Japanese use a completely different FM Dial setup than we do in the US, where the Japanese FM band covers 76-92 MHz or something like that, and this radio had 88-108 MHz on the dial, but the voltage tag was the Japanese voltage tag.) So maybe the radios I had were actually export models and that's why they worked, but I just assumed that since the Japanese electrical system was very similar to ours that their stuff would function just fine on our electrical system, seeing as we were the reason why they have 100/110 V AC electrical systems in the first place because we helped them rebuild after WWII and our electrical system at that time was also 100/110V AC because that was before our electrical system was standardized to 110/120V AC