Gearbox Cover Brass Reproduction On Teens Dayton Type 67 or 676.

Russ Huber

The Dunaway posted ages back on an old post of mine I was lucky to have my pot metal gearbox still intact on the 4 wing type 67.  This fan weighs in at roughly 23-24 lbs. Dayton put a cast iron housing monster motor on top of a pot metal pivot, and on top of that, made it an oscillator. My die cast gearbox cover must have got wasted years ago and someone made a decent cover out of sheet brass. I just spent a few hours today making another cover out of 2' wide x 1/4" thick 360 bar brass cut 2" long. I used a motor driven sanding wheel and a small pneumatic handheld high speed sanding wheel. Once I got it shaped, I used a handheld black and decker sander to smooth it out. The holes were marked and drilled with a drill press. I tapped the funky thread holes in the die cast gearbox to 4-40 so I could use brass screws. The cover has to have the screw head slots drilled deeper to inset the heads. I gave it a quick buffing. I don't think there is a lot of these out there simply because of Dayton's use of pot metal in critical areas one being the fan head support. This fan is fully functional.

7_051306_590000000.png

7_040919_550000000.jpg

Dayton19-2-lanczos3.jpg

7_090914_310000000.jpg

7_090914_460000000.jpg

7_090915_000000000.jpg

7_090915_170000000.jpg

7_091132_370000000.jpg

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3764.JPG

IMG_3767.JPG

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Nice fab Russ, looks authentic.

Thanks, Mike. I remember you have one of these animals as well.  Once I get those screws recessed properly, good enough. The underside is flat with exception of a central channel I ground out with a Dremel roughly 1/16" so it seats properly on the gearbox. Some internals in the gearbox are slightly raised to interfere with the cover seating properly.

David must of painted the hardware brass/gold with a clear coat(?), and the knurled oscillator engagement knob. They are all steel/magnetic.

84298_051823_220000000.jpg

3 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

David must of painted the hardware brass/gold with a clear coat(?), and the knurled oscillator engagement knob. They are all steel/magnetic.

84298_051823_220000000.jpg

I purchased this fan as you see it fully restored, although I would like to take credit I don’t know who restore this fan..  I have since sold it to a gentleman in Kentucky who runs it every day in his store.. I don’t think it should be run every day but that’s what he’s doing.. it’s definitely no longer a museum piece like it was when I sold it to him.. I remember it being an absolute beast.. i’m going to guess 30 pounds..

Edited by David A Cherry

5 hours ago, David A Cherry said:

I purchased this fan as you see it fully restored, although I would like to take credit I don’t know who restore this fan..  I have since sold it to a gentleman in Kentucky who runs it every day in his store.. I don’t think it should be run every day but that’s what he’s doing.. it’s definitely no longer a museum piece like it was when I sold it to him.. I remember it being an absolute beast.. i’m going to guess 30 pounds..

The alloy (die cast) components on mine appear to be reasonably hardy.  No cracks, or bobble fan head. But yes, I would not agree to recommend frequent use unless the pot metal oscillation components get replaced with hardier metal components.

My 12" 4 wing weighs in at 24 lbs. A 12" 6 wing 6 pole my guess could be a few pounds more.

4 hours ago, Jim Roadt said:

Nicely done Russ...I almost had one of those a while back

I recessed the cover screws prim & proper just for the future in the event you may almost have another chance at one. 

IMG_3778.JPG