Diehl All Brass

Bobby Gaines

Just finished a few days ago. Bought this little guy from a member, it was in good shape except for two S wires (1/16) missing and a few dents in the brass. Removed the dents, fabricated and replaced the S wires, installed new internal head wire. Fabed a base plate w/ rubber feet then polished it up and lacquered it.

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Before 1.jpg

Before 3.jpg

Before 8.jpg

Before 10.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the nice comments. That little fan was fun to work on. I was told that fan was dated 1913, correct me if it’s not .

The previous owner and I both thought the motor cover was brass plated because a magnet would stick to it. With further inspection I realized the the was attracted by coil laminates. Nice surprise for the Brass Hounds!

In 1909 Diehl introduced a NEW 8" fan to replace their 9" model. What is not clarified to date is what was that 8" model? (no electrical trade images I am aware of to date)

The first electrical trade images of the all brass 8" Diehl are seen in 1912.  

Eck rebadged the 8" Diehl all brass to add to their residence fan motor line. Eck also eventually rebadged the Dayton 8" as theirs.

It would appear the Diehl 8" all brass "may" have been introduced as early as 1909.