Hunter C17 Help

Ethan Shafer

Re-posted from the Pre-1950 forum. I realized after posting that there are no ceiling fans in that section.

Hello,

I am a new member here, and new to the antique fan hobby. I do have a small collection consisting mostly of some of the rare versions of the American made PSC Originals, but I've never dealt with anything older than the 2.5 amp R&M Originals. I've been hunting for something unique for my living room, and the other day I found what I've wanted for years: a copper C17. It's not in the best condition, but I think it looks pretty good for an unrestored example.

The biggest issue that I could use some guidance on is the snap switch. Parts of the switch arrived in a ziplock bag, and the bottom cover is bent, which leads me to believe that its been hit or the fan was set down resting on the switch. The ring inside is also cracked and crumbling, and it looks like the switch assembly itself may have broken off. I'd like to rebuild the switch, but I'm not too sure where to start.

The other area that I could use some advice is the finish. The previous owner was very aggressive with a buffer, with the result that the entire motor is shiny except for places where the finish was pitted or severely corroded. I like the exposed copper look and the patina that the fan currently has, and I don't intend to do much cosmetic restoration. I'd like to get some kind of wax or lacquer to preserve the current state of the metal so that I don't have to polish it, as the copper plating is already a little worn through in some places. 

There are a few other items that I need to tackle, but I am comfortable handling them myself. The blades need some attention, it needs new lead wires, and I need to get a downrod, canopy, blade iron screws, and mounting hardware. I also need to get a good solid state control so I can get a better low speed.

Any advice that anyone here can provide on these items would be most welcome. Thank you very much!

IMG_8333.jpeg

IMG_8334.jpeg

IMG_8335.jpeg

IMG_8336.jpeg

IMG_8339.jpeg

IMG_8340.jpeg

IMG_8341.jpeg

Nice fan! These were copper flashed to prevent rust, so I would just wax it with car wax. The flash is a very thin coat which was then painted over. Really sad about your switch, those are made of "unobtainium" & finding one is not easy & will cost a pretty penny. Most of the early ceiling fans had that switch exposed & when set on its nose, goodbye switch. Thankfully Emerson protected there's with the long nose models & Hunter followed a bit later on the R52s. Since you are wanting a wall speed control, look for an on-off snap switch for looks & just bypass the switch. The blade holders use a standard machine screw with a fillister head. I have used a lot of rounded head screws & ground the sides of the head.

Ethan, if you are okay using a non-original switch, I make reproduction 3D-printed snap switch assemblies for antique ceiling fans (Off-Hi-Med-Low).  I will just need a few measurements to make one for a C17.

Very nice fan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, Derek Warnecke said:

Ethan, if you are okay using a non-original switch, I make reproduction 3D-printed snap switch assemblies for antique ceiling fans (Off-Hi-Med-Low).  I will just need a few measurements to make one for a C17.

Very nice fan!

How much do you charge for the reproduction switches? Would it be possible to use my existing knob and bottom plate, and just replace the internals? What measurements do you need? Thanks! 

12 hours ago, Ethan Shafer said:

How much do you charge for the reproduction switches? Would it be possible to use my existing knob and bottom plate, and just replace the internals? What measurements do you need? Thanks! 

I can sell you one for $50 shipped.  The switch uses a D-shaft, so I'll have to use the knob that I print along with the switch housing.  I've attached photos that show how it's put together.

As for measurements, I just need the screw-to-screw spacing for the switch itself, the diameter of the switch housing clearance and the height you would like the switch to be.  It will likely stick out of the bottom of the switch housing 3/4" or so on a C17 to replicate the look of the original.

IMG_6758.jpeg

IMG_6757.jpeg

IMG_4937.jpeg

I will probably take you up on one of these switches, these look fantastic! Unfortunately I have not had any time to work on the fan, but as soon as I get a chance to take the measurements I'll post them.

• Like 1

A nice model and the copper flash looks awesome.  Beautiful and let us see the fan when you have it finished.