Emerson 77646-CE: What sort of wicking is in the oil port and how do I remove/reinsert it?

Hannah Dannehy

I've almost got the fan ready to go back together, and can't find anything online on how to get the wicking out of the oil port. The fan appears to have spent many years abandoned in someone's back shed under a leaking roof and arrived to my house in absolute filth and covered with the remains of dead insects (and one lizard skeleton). I'm pretty sure the wicking/wadding/whatever it is is also absolutely filthy. How do I get it out for cleaning, and how do I put it back?

Right now, we have the stator out of the motor housing (I really didn't want to, but the need for cleaning was too dire), but that central sleeve-shaft that the motor's shaft rests in is still firmly in place.

There is no wicking in those. That center shaft is filled with oil & lubricates the rotor bearings by four small holes in it. Clean those four holes & make sure the oil passage from the oil cap into that shaft are not blocked, should be wide open. That spring that goes on the oscillator shaft pumps the oil around in the shaft.

BTW, DON"T remove that shaft!

12 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

BTW, DON"T remove that shaft!

Yeah, I took one look at it and figured it probably takes some very specialized, high-pressure factory machinery to get it in place. The oil port and that center shaft-sleeve have remained untouched.

8 hours ago, David Kilnapp said:

Pictures would be helpful Hannah. May we see some?

Of course! Sorry they're not the best, but all I have is my phone camera which hates the lights in the house for some reason.

This is the back of the motor housing. It's one of those motors with a single oiling point. We got the stator out and the motor plate off for degriming. (If you think it looks dirty now, you should have seen it when we got it. There were at least 3 abandoned mud dauber nests.)

I've also attached the inside of the motor housing. I'm not taking that shaft out, nor do I dare touch the hex nut on the back of it. It seems thoroughly unnecessary for cleaning purposes, and like they'd never go back in right.

1681777145564.JPEG

9 hours ago, David Kilnapp said:

Pictures would be helpful Hannah. May we see some?

The other picture didn't send! Well here it is this time.

1681777145479.JPEG

If you notice on the top & bottom of that shaft, inside & outside are the oil holes I mentioned. Also clean those slots near the holes. Emerson had an extremely efficient oiling system they used for many years. Also as I said earlier, make sure that oil tube is clear, they have a habit of gumming up near the shaft. It should be wide open. I often use a small drill bit to open them up.

• Like 2