Cord minder for Jandus C-frame

David Kilnapp

Friends:  I was reading a post about a very nice Jandus C-Frame acquired by one of our members and another member posted a picture of his restored C-frame. His came complete with the cord minder that you see in the picture below.

1154474706_wireminder.jpg.182c1fb658e0960ba6d66649617183ec.jpg

I would like to acquire the same cord minder for my C-frame if someone can point me to a source. Nothing like it comes up on Antiquefanparts.com. Thanks.

That cordminder is unique to early Jandus motors whose power terminals exit the face of the motor. They keep the power wires from being  sucked into the blade.

I'll be getting a hold of an original from Vic Valencheck.  They should be relatively easy to draw up and  printed in brass.  Thank you Vic.

• Like 1

If you had the pattern or sample to work from, it looks like it cut just be cut out of sheet brass and folded to shape.

41 minutes ago, Doug Wendel said:

If you had the pattern or sample to work from, it looks like it cut just be cut out of sheet brass and folded to shape.

You are correct.  My only problem....my fingers are fat and clumsy.  With CAD and printing....this will save me the hassle. 

13 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

I'll be getting a hold of an original from Vic Valencheck.  They should be relatively easy to draw up and  printed in brass.  Thank you Vic.

Hi Louis.  I need one for my C-Frame as well.  PM me to let me know the cost.   

• Thanks 1

You guys made me go look at mine. Appears that somewhere along the way it picked up small zip ties in place of the original clips. I can't believe I never noticed before.

Louis, I would like to have a set also.

I can see why these would be a pain to cut by hand...really tiny.  I will see if I can have it preform so there is less bending necessary.

I'll be drawing them up this weekend and will order end of the month.  I have studies the Jandus C-frame struts.  The struts came in two styles...flat and the typical GE with the back middle curve ones....need to make both styles.

Please post here if interested so I have a rough idea how many to order....Thanks.

Also, it turns out there are two types of styles for the Jandus C-Frame struts.  Ones that have the curve in the front and ones that are curved backwards.  I will need to make both so the clip fits on the struts.

The curve on these struts face front.  Note how the struts attaches to the motor

image.png.6918f0911db871aeda66d475683619e0.png

The curve on these struts face back.  Note how the struts attaches to the motor.

image.png.8575e1b4b9189aba2e9a6a49eb4cd378.png

Edited by Louis Luu

Hi Louis. I'd like one of each, curved and square Jandus cord minders for $30 shipped. Do let me know when you like payment.

• 1 month later...

Order placed.  Should be interesting to see if scaffolding in brass can be done.  Yes, cost has gone up a bit, so only do this one time.  Price will be around between $15-20 shipped.  Only reason I trying this project out is to see how thin I can get it and if scaffolding on a large scale works.  If this does pan out, I will proceed with the Emerson back oiler.

image.thumb.png.e6d7d827ed2383fa815d257aae340d34.png

I ordered a total of 20 (10 of each version).  If you have already placed order here, I will reserve.  If you need extra, please order now.  Only one time as I don't see a lot of demands for this.

image.thumb.png.293d3bd5af1cd3a46497b0146d30b1f5.pngimage.thumb.png.be5baf3f43849cfd476d6aa76ac94f07.png

As for the challenge of printing/casting in brass.  The minimum thickness is 0.6mm...really pushing it.  I measured the thickness of the material of Vic's original cord minder and it is 0.8mm.  The problem with this is normally it is not scaffold.  The only reasons to scaffold:  If you were to print each piece, the cost adds up real quick.  The benefits of scaffolding is also accuracy as it treats the object as one large piece.  Printing tiny piece/casting is very problematic.