LAU Question

Kyle Shelstad

I dont think it does. I dont own one so take my message with a grain of salt, but I dont think theres a capacitor.

Out of all the fans I have only one box fan from 1998 has a capacitor so this ones probably fine.

I have one like it (which is in need of restoration but far less gross, haha) and runs very well... I can check if it has a run capacity and reply again. I doubt that it does, offhand. 

Very cool fan, Kyle. "Grossness" is only temporary, while "cool factor" lasts forever! I'm sure it will clean up beautifully.

Yeah, one of my co workers reached out to me and asked if i could get it running again.  they claim it was in a window and it was raining, and they said it sparked, and now it only sits and hums or trips the breaker, does not try to turn.  so as soon as i get it, it will receive a thorough cleaning first then a diagnosis.

WET IS NOT GOOD IT WILL SHORT A WINDING TO THE SIDE OF THE MOTOR CASE AND ITS PRETTY MUCH TOAST. I TOO HAVE BEEN TOLD NO CAPACITOR . A WET MOTOR CAN BE RECOVERED AS LONG AS IT IS DRIED...BUT IF IT WAS POWERED WHILE GETTING WET THEN IT IS GOING TO BE BURNED OUT . GOOD LUCK WITH IT ! 

Ok so I've got it and I pulled the motor apart, it was plugged so bad with debris, and greasy residue, and what appeared to be burnt up material.  I blew everything out, and re varnished the stator. it still buzzes loudly amd sounds like arcing although I can't see from where. I think safe to say it's a dead motor, also the wires going into the motor are so dried out the rubber flakes apart at the slightest movement. where would I even find a replacement motor

20230515_145921.jpg

20230515_145932.jpg

20230515_145942.jpg

20230515_145947.jpg

20230515_145916.jpg

20230515_144957.jpg

20230515_144942.jpg

20230515_144936.jpg

Your motor is an electrically reversible shaded pole motor.  They are rarer than hens teeth.  I do not know the speed and horsepower of the motor that is used in your fan, but could see it was made by fasco.  I found a GE 3 speed reversible 1/15 hp shaded pole motor for sale on EBay.  Here is the link to the motor:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/304604986244

The motor I posted a link to has a 3/8" shaft.  It might have to cut a little as it is about 2 1/2" long.  The other option would to have it rewound.  I do not know how much it would cost.  This is just my 2 cents worth.

I would try and get the motor rewound. Price depends on the electrician but meanwhile, I would restore the rest of it. Repaint the cabinet and check all the wiring in the switches and such. 

ALSO SHOWED UP AT THE BBQ IS A VERY THIN 20" THREE SPEED LAU WINDOW FAN, SQUARE BOX FAN MOUNTED TO WINDOW PANEL  WITH A TOASTED MOTOR. THIS ONE TOO HAS NO CAPACITOR .... ANOTHER PROJECT!