Any advice on how to remove the bell part from a GE bell oscillator from 1928

David A Cherry

Yes agree on the thread.  The knob attachment is not an issue.  I can draw around it.  I would like to find one with the knob removed to see how it is put together....my thinking is that knob part should also be drawn up so replacement is much easier. 

Lets hold off on sending....I would like others to chime in if they have these particular fans.

Yeah....another damage fan but it will serve its purpose.  On a positive note, at least I won't have to remove the bell....it is already off.  Next time if you have a part that is hard to remove....just sent it through the mailing system and it magically falls apart.

20230924_170024.thumb.jpg.8898f02165302807b3d34b97958c0f37.jpg20230924_170235.thumb.jpg.8db0abf448ad02bcdd3f6603050b5f9d.jpg20230924_170024.thumb.jpg.8898f02165302807b3d34b97958c0f37.jpg

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, John Landstrom said:

Offer still stands Louis.  

BTW…..what’s the info on the base tag?  (If it had one)   AK1 ?

I'll look this weekend.  The part I have should be fine.  If I need help, I will definitely holler....not very familiar with these fans.

Edited by Louis Luu

8 minutes ago, Terry Plata said:

If the original pot metal bell breaks, can a facsimile be turned in aluminum? Or brass?

If you are asking what metal are offered for prints.....here is just a few: aluminum, steel, bronze, brass, titanium.....and many more.  I'm aiming for a brass bell go go with a brass gear box.  I need to find a 12 inch six blade if possible for myself.  I bought the 16 inch for the parts....mainly the box so I can draw it up.

I've gotten worst....this is still doable.  I will get some crazy glue do some measurements..  Pot metal is not terribly bad; however, combine with thin wall is very bad.  

20230930_082642.thumb.jpg.04436dc707366170e2e676fff4a41366.jpg20230930_082649.thumb.jpg.28ed59a868f5792c51a462899a0ed7d4.jpg20230930_092455.thumb.jpg.77b037b7860f2a063419f12f1f6ac70b.jpg20230930_092459.thumb.jpg.fc467080710c6dcb2e615576fdd70e86.jpg20230930_092519.thumb.jpg.d2c051a1c3cb20b530013f4d18cea71e.jpg20230930_094108.thumb.jpg.0f2be0c547c88a959aa7d706904f4036.jpg

• Like 1

Can’t quite make the form on the tag.   Is that AF2?

Thought you mentioned it was a 16” model.   I’d be interested in the blade and cage if you have no set plans for them.

Also, I offered up sending you my fan, but I’d be happy to remove and disassemble the rear gearbox.  Is definitely in better shape, albeit not perfect.  One of the threaded holes for the top cover screws is damaged.  You’d have a couple of examples to go by.  Mine is a 1930 AK1.   Pretty sure the AF is an earlier model.  

oh, hope you found the set screw above the large plug that is on the side of the gearbox.   Be sure to take that out before trying to remove that item. (Bering alignment screw). It’s there to prevent it from coming loose.  The set screw is in the hole for the cover on that side (sits below the screw)

You mentioned they could be made of brass.  Wow!  I’d love a set in brass !    (Gearbox and trumpet)

VERY CURIOUS what you find dissecting the oscillator knob (brass) that is on top of the shaft going through the cover.  Haven’t heard of anyone being able to disassemble that.  Maybe pressed in place? 

Edited by John Landstrom

5 minutes ago, John Landstrom said:

Can’t quite make the form on the tag.   Is that AF2?

Thought you mentioned it was a 16” model.   I’d be interested in the blade and cage if you have no set plans for them.

Also, I offered up sending you my fan, but I’d be happy to remove and disassemble the rear gearbox.  Is definitely in better shape, albeit no perfect.  You’d have a couple of examples to go by.  Mine is a 1930 AK1.   Pretty AIRE the AF is an earlier model.  

oh, hope you found the set screw above the large plug that is on the side of the gearbox.   Be sure to take that out before trying to remove that item. (Bering alignment). It’s there to prevent it from coming loose.  The set screw is in the hole for the cover on that side (sits below the screw)

You mentioned they could be made of brass.  Wow!  I’d love a set in brass !    (Gearbox and trumpet)

VERY CURIOUS what you find dissecting the oscillator knob (brass) that is on top of the shaft going through the cover.  Haven’t heard of anyone being able to disassemble that.  Maybe pressed in place? 

You can have whatever parts you want.  The parts are soaking in degreaser....I could not see a darn thing....all covered by heavy solidified grease.  So far here is my assessment.  The pot metal combine with thin wall is what lead to drastic failure in these box.  I will fix it.  The drawing is straightforward.  As for the taps, I will update them along with the holder for the oiler....too many unnecessary parts holding it to the back.  I supposed this was done due to the thickness of the material.  I will fix the thickness as well for the rear portion.

The alignment screw came off without me ever touching the set screw?  I'll find out once I clean it up and glue it back together.  As long as I got the dimensions along with the shape, I will be able to recreate the piece with relative ease.  I will also be utilizing the patent drawing provided by Jared DelOrfano.

4345DE32-0C79-4651-AEE7-36EAF6CB7CBD.thumb.jpeg.1d305c2ef62aab350eb3fb121545b776.jpeg

Edited by Louis Luu

Crazy glue ordered.  Hard to believe, but it is much cheaper for me to order stuff and have it delivered rather than me going out to buy.  Very sad but super convenient.  I'll be cleaning down the parts and let it airdry tonight.  Will glue the pieces together and start the measurements.

Getting rid of the grease soaked in pot metal.  I added water and dawn and nuked on high for 15 minutes.  This is how I do it.  The fumes won't kill you but your other significant might.  Wait till she is asleep.

Edited by Louis Luu
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

Getting rid of the grease soaked in pot metal.  I added water and dawn and nuked on high for 15 minutes.  This is how I do it.  The fumes won't kill you but your other significant might.  Wait till she is asleep.

Mine would immediately clear out of the house, complete with the kids and dog, for the night whenever I baked capacitors in the oven. 🤣 She once asked me if capacitors could "explode". I honestly answered that YES they could explode IF they were installed backwards. All she heard was that "they could explode", and that was that! And no. She was not pleased at all with me baking items in her oven. Not at all. 😂

• Haha 1