1920s or 1930s vintage GE Ceiling fan aquired

Levi Mevis

On 6/20/2023 at 3:33 PM, Chris Jacobsen said:

Bet original switches cost a pretty penny.  Just glad my fans have switches or remnants that are repairable.  Did you ever get your latest ceiling fan haul sorted?  I was still interested in seeing what you may offer out of them and what price point.  

I always look at shows and stores. You never know. 99 times out of 100 they're on/off. Chris, if you ever need one let me know, I might have a spare.

3 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I always look at shows and stores. You never know. 99 times out of 100 they're on/off. Chris, if you ever need one let me know, I might have a spare.

Yup, I am always looking for switches.  As you said the Ebay stuff if typical household on-off.  I actually still need two multi-position switches for three speed, I have a couple Emersons I am trying to restore now and the switches were smashed.  I am currently trying to find a way to frankenstein a switch or two from the broken parts.  If you have one to spare I am very interested in knowing how much you may be asking.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings everyone, I made a video of my fan running and what it does when its running, and if anyone would be willing to take a look at the video for me and let me know what they think of what the fan is doing or not doing or what it should and shouldn't be doing, (I do supply some narration for the video to give you an idea of what the fan is doing or at least what I think it should be doing and what its actually doing).

One observation, when wiring up the speed coil for this fan, as I stated previously I was working with rotted wire so I couldn't tell what color each wire was supposed to be coming off the speed coil, and so I was wondering if it might be possible to get the low speed wire connection and the Hot/Line connection of the speed coil wiring mixed up and if that's why my fan doesn't seem to have a low speed setting and why the fan is humming like a son of a gun when its running?

Any help with this would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Levi

Edited by Levi Mevis

I just bought a couple of antique snap switches on feebay and the seller (I got both switches from the same seller) claimed they were "three way" switches, which I'm wondering if they aren't actually 3-speed fan switches because they both look just like the old 3 speed fan switches from the 1910s and 1920s, one of them is a Perkins, and the other one is an Arrow-H & H the only thing is, that the person who listed those switches didn't post any photos of the inside of the switch, but the switch (the Perkins switch) was one of the ones that didn't have the "selector window", and the H & H switch had a "selector window" and it looked about right, but again without any views of the inside of either switch I couldn't see what the contacts looked like inside or how many screws/contacts there were.

I'll post the pictures from the listing and see what you guys think.

Perkins Snap Switch Bottom View.jpg

Arrow-H & H Switch bottom view.jpg

Arrow-H & H Switch top view direct on.jpg

Arrow-H & H Switch Top View.jpg

Perkins Snap Switch top view.jpg

Perkins Snap Switch.jpg

Edited by Levi Mevis

On/off will tell you it is a two position switch.  The other without a window you need to open and examine electrical functionality but usually a two position.  A three-way might be moddable into a three position with work.  A project I am looking at when time allows.

I got my switches today and the perkins switch (the one that has no indicator window) has 3 wire terminals and 4 distinct positions on/on/on/off and the 3 positions with the screw terminals are what I would assume would be your 3 on positions (Hi, Med, and Low) and the 4th position (off position) has no screw terminal on it but I think one could add one to it from a junker switch and then it would be a true 3-speed fan switch, because the terminals are screwed on from underneath and all you would have to do is just remove some old glue that they used to cover the screw heads and you would be able to remove the "blank" off terminal and add a screw terminal.

The Other switch does have 4 screw terminals (two of them are tall and two of them are short) and I would assume that this switch could actually be used as a 3-speed fan switch with some modification (and a modified display plate.)

488698920_Arrow-HH3-waysnapswitchinsideview.thumb.JPG.7bc218e3ac27d0a32687e57135c9c6e0.JPG1307643112_Perkins3-waysnapswitchinsideview.thumb.JPG.2db7c5d0da75651f120853fcd448ae52.JPG

I was planning on remaking the contact plates on a 2 circuit 2 position switch so they all join in the middle and hit the contacts as 1-2-3-off. The designs are pretty straightforward.  A CNC router should make quick work of a selector plate.

18 hours ago, Chris Jacobsen said:

I was planning on remaking the contact plates on a 2 circuit 2 position switch so they all join in the middle and hit the contacts as 1-2-3-off. The designs are pretty straightforward.  A CNC router should make quick work of a selector plate.

Which switch in my previous post are you referencing to?

3 hours ago, Levi Mevis said:

Which switch in my previous post are you referencing to?

First one I think, the dual circuit on/off.  I have a couple like that.

2 minutes ago, Chris Jacobsen said:

First one I think, the dual circuit on/off.  I have a couple like that.

OK, well the way the Perkins switch is setup inside and the way it functions inside looks like its the closest to being an actual 3-speed fan switch (minus the screw terminal for the line/power feed to the motor.)

1 hour ago, Levi Mevis said:

OK, well the way the Perkins switch is setup inside and the way it functions inside looks like its the closest to being an actual 3-speed fan switch (minus the screw terminal for the line/power feed to the motor.)

I don't have a Perkins like that and the others are just a lot more common so it would be easier to repeat a process on a more common switch and I can make a few perhaps, based on original parts.  Will see when I have more time.

I have the base for a three speed switch that I probably won't use in the future.  It is missing the cover and the knob and the central post is bent.  The speed number indicator disk is bent but might be repairable.  Good for parts considering how hard these are to find.  It does have an undamaged porcelain base and all four terminal posts and screws.  I do not know the manufacturer.  It is 2.125" in diameter.

P7229660.JPG

P7229661.JPG

P7229662.JPG

2 hours ago, Robert Todd said:

I have the base for a three speed switch that I probably won't use in the future.  It is missing the cover and the knob and the central post is bent.  The speed number indicator disk is bent but might be repairable.  Good for parts considering how hard these are to find.  It does have an undamaged porcelain base and all four terminal posts and screws.  I do not know the manufacturer.  It is 2.125" in diameter.

P7229660.JPG

P7229661.JPG

P7229662.JPG

Ooh nice, would you sell?  I may be interesred

3 hours ago, Robert Todd said:

Chris,

I would sell this item if you think you can use it.

Robert

I would be interested, can you PM me please?

The easiest way to tell a 3-way switch from a 3 pole switch is the 3way are "on-off-on-off" and the 3 pole are "off-1-2-3," although you commonly see Off-1-2-3 switches from stoves or hot plates, which are configured to activate poles 1, 2, 1+2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Block said:

The easiest way to tell a 3-way switch from a 3 pole switch is the 3way are "on-off-on-off" and the 3 pole are "off-1-2-3," although you commonly see Off-1-2-3 switches from stoves or hot plates, which are configured to activate poles 1, 2, 1+2.

The truth.  I also sort of figured the 1+2 could be used in more elaborate lighting setups, certainly not fans unless you are doing some combo with light and motor.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:25 PM, Robert Todd said:

P7229660.JPG

P7229661.JPG

P7229662.JPG

I might be able to use that because my switch I got on ebay uses a windowed cover but is just an on/off/On/Off configuration, But I wasn't sure since the person I bought it from didn't have the switch disassembled in the pictures and I wasn't sure if the person was confusing a 3-pole switch for a 3-way switch. 

• 3 months later...

OK, an update on my ceiling fan progress: I finally got my lights installed and wired up, but I have a question on the wiring; When wiring up the lights, I was trying to wire them up how they do it inside modern ceiling fan light kits, where they have all the neutral (white) wires tied together and the hot wires tied together with the hot wire coming out the top of the fan and wired to the ceiling fan motor's hotwire, should I have some wire going from the neutral wire of the lights to the neutral wire source on the fan motor as well to complete the circuit or is just having the single hot wire coming out the top enough to complete the circuit? 

Also I was wondering about getting one of those reproduction "snap switches" because I realized that fabricating a sheetmetal adaptor for a pullchain switch was going to be harder work than I thought it would be because using a hole saw bit with a cordless drill would make a pretty rough edged cut that would have to be filed/sanded to smooth it out so that it wouldn't cut your fingers or hand when handling it, and then trying to center the pull chain hole and the holes for the mounting screws and making sure they line up with the mounting holes on the fan's nose would require some precise measurements that I don't think I could do with just a tape measure or ruler.  

Most old ceiling fans had 4 wires coming out of them, 2 hots and 2 neutrals for fan and light. Otherwise, you'd need to run a wire from the stator down to the switch housing and then back up out the downrod.

Highly recommend Derek's reproduction switches. Or you could use a stove switch to go 1-fan only, 2-lights only, 1+2 both. I've done that coupled with a triac on top of the fan for speed control. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

1 hour ago, Andrew Block said:

Most old ceiling fans had 4 wires coming out of them, 2 hots and 2 neutrals for fan and light. Otherwise, you'd need to run a wire from the stator down to the switch housing and then back up out the downrod.

Highly recommend Derek's reproduction switches. Or you could use a stove switch to go 1-fan only, 2-lights only, 1+2 both. I've done that coupled with a triac on top of the fan for speed control. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

How do I get ahold of Derek for the switch? I'm assuming he has an email that I have to contact him at outside of here?

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2023 at 6:14 PM, Levi Mevis said:

How do I get ahold of Derek for the switch?

Hi Levi,

How did you end up getting ahold of Derek? I'm trying to buy a reproduction switch switch for a GE Vortalex.

Thanks,

Rick