Fern Leaf

Jim Roadt

Can an Emerson Fern Leaf be hung on an eight foot ceiling ?

Appears like the minimum the switch will be 20 " from ceiling .  Does that look too low ?

I’m no expert but I think with an 8’ ceiling it would have to go over something like a bed or table. I’ve got one I haven’t hung for that very reason. Interested in others’ takes on this!

I suspect that the Fern Leaf would mount similar to the Long Nose. Found that out the hard way. I must have missed a decimal or didn't carry the 1 in my math. Went to hang it up on my 8ft ceilings and the lights would have been too low. Hard hat zone!

The rule of thumb is blades need to be 7 feet from the floor.

I have never tried to hang a fernleaf on an 8 foot ceiling.

Doubt you can hang one and keep a 7 foot height and the nose would definitely be a hat knocker offer.

If you try, let us know the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

How about an 8 1/2 ft ceiling

does anybody know the minimum distance from ceiling to the tip of the switch would be?  I was estimating 21"  I would appreciate a more accurate guess...measure twice hang once kind of a thing

The bottom of light is 24 " from ceiling and would be perfect height for fernleaf.  I would have to remove part of that ( hollow )beam or mount through it somehow20211017_084353.thumb.jpg.897e16f68d3805d513c72726fbf4a1b7.jpg

We had a standard of a minimum of the blades being a minimum of 14” from the ceiling. Tall people come into a room, see a fan, and they stay on the perimeter of the room.

The Fern Leaf hook has to go into a joist. You’ll need a hook long enough to pass through the the boxed wood trim, and into the rafter. I bought two hooks, and had them cut and welded together.

• Like 1

Option B is to heat and bend a piece of all thread rod into a U at one end. Fasten a 2 X 6 above the ceiling joists. Drill a hole. Insert the long end of the rod in the 2  X 6. Put a flat washer on it, and a locknut. Hang the fan on the hook. Then in the attic, start tightening the nut. Raise the fan till you get it where you want. Add a second locknut.

An idea for you.  Depending on what's above where you want to mount the fan... (how tall the joists are) you could cut out a square in the drywall and mount a 2x4 or 4x4 to the top side of the joists and then box the area in.  You could gain 4-8" in that way.  Blades need to be a minimum of 10" from the ceiling. 

Two blades are fine. At slow speed you’ll get a wop-wop-wop sound. If you use a rheostat you can slow the blades to a very slow speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a ceiling 9 feet 7 inches should be plenty room now.  

In search of light kit now just the brackets ( is that possible )?

Any idea on year?

Thanks

20210728_164323.jpg

• Like 1

Not my picture, I'd saved it off the old site in with pictures of a 32641 that I picked out of a shed several years back. Looks to be from 1911. Mine is still a work in progress. Beautiful fans!IMG_6407.thumb.PNG.ea970afc3e6218607a44407bcd461f5e.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...