Odd GE pancake (FrankenCake?)

Stephen Burchett

I don’t really know how to title this one.  Has anyone seen this fan listed on eBay?  It’s listed as a 1901 GE Pancake, and it’s certainly a pretty fan, but the badge looks off, and the motor is a Dayton thermally protected single speed.  If the seller is on here, I mean zero disrespect, but I’m genuinely interested in what would be a fair offer to make on it.  The buy it now is $2400, which I do feel is extremely high, but maybe I’m wrong.  Would just like some input from the group.  Thanks!

882C06E7-215E-4239-B029-1E1AF0050791.jpeg

6A69E778-1A36-42B5-BF95-B7DF1B4FA7B1.jpeg

3066D851-9EA3-4F18-AA65-292254A4C500.jpeg

The badge looks to be CNC machined. It also has custom struts, they look cool but might not be for everyone. I did notice that the blades are screwed to the hub, that seems like an odd choice.

I agree with you that the buy it now is high considering that an original with it's factory parts goes for nearly half of that.

• Thanks 1

There are lots of items that were not the original style of that fan.  Including the struts, badge and toggle switch on the back. Looks nice, but it’s not one I would add to my collection. Price or otherwise. Just my 2 cents. Custom is one thing, but a toggle switch on a cake? However, there’s a fan for every seat…or something like that. Nice effort on the custom parts, just not very faithful to being an original looking fan. .

i have a super nice custom cake that was built by Kim Frank, the cake master.  It was less than that offer price and you can conceive that it was built by GE.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom Morel said:

There's a nice one for sale on the BST for half that. Not sure I understand the appeal of paying 2k for a fan with a chintzy toggle switch. To each his own...

No, I have no intentions of paying his BIN of $2400, nor do I want to pay the starting bid of $900……it would be alright for an everyday use fan that still catches your eye, but I thought I’d pick everyone’s brain and see what would be considered a reasonable price to offer the seller.

5 hours ago, Jim Kovar said:

Why?  wondering.gif.a1f637900bd0c7da20dca3e6b6601cac.gif

Screenshot_20211229-225701_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9b2502c2971c9d8c099f5011a51b5fdb.jpg

I was trying to be polite with my reply in case it was something posted by a member, but I agree. Why? A lot of fabbed parts that are creative, but don’t belong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

I was trying to be polite with my reply in case it was something posted by a member, but I agree. Why? A lot of fabbed parts that are creative, but don’t belong. 

Lane,

Same with me when I started this thread.  The seller even mentioned something about  the fan collector club, so I had a feeling they may be a member.  As someone who is a complete amateur with these fans, I try my best not to knock another person’s handiwork, but I’m thinking if you want a fan THAT modded, why not go out and buy one of those Casablanca fans that look like the antique ones….it’s a whole lot cheaper!

Kim,

I’ve seen photos of that cake before, and customized or not, that thing is absolutely gorgeous!!!  I’d be proud to display it anywhere I possibly could!!

I like it!  The toggle switch not so much. With my Fan it just depends what mood I am in. Some I like as correct as possible, and some like in last picture!

IMG_1963.jpg

2.JPG

On 12/31/2021 at 11:43 AM, Jim Henderson said:

I think these fans are part of the "Steve Stephens" collection. 

Not so, my GE pancake collection consists only of original and unrestored examples.   I would only allow that beautiful Diehl Pullman fan into my collection.

Edited by Steve Stephens

• 2 weeks later...

Back on Ebay with the following disclaimer:

On Dec-29-21 at 14:17:48 PST, seller added the following information:

The 1901 motor has been replaced with a brand new dayton thermally overload protected motor.

THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS ARE NOT ORIGINAL

THE ELECTRIC MOTOR
THE CAGE
THE BADGE
THE CAGE STRUTS
THE SWITCH
I HAVE THE ORIGINAL STAOR AND ROTOR- I PLAN TO SELL THEM LATER
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE OLD MUSEUM PIECE
Edited by Bob Peshoff

20 minutes ago, Bob Peshoff said:

Back on Ebay with the following disclaimer:

On Dec-29-21 at 14:17:48 PST, seller added the following information:

The 1901 motor has been replaced with a brand new dayton thermally overload protected motor.

THE FOLLOWING COMPONENTS ARE NOT ORIGINAL

THE ELECTRIC MOTOR
THE CAGE
THE BADGE
THE CAGE STRUTS
THE SWITCH
I HAVE THE ORIGINAL STAOR AND ROTOR- I PLAN TO SELL THEM LATER
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE OLD MUSEUM PIECE

So… basically everything?? Dayton Motor?. Like from the Grainger catalog?  No wonder a toggle switch. 

2 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

So… basically everything?? Dayton Motor?. Like from the Grainger catalog?  No wonder a toggle switch. 

Yes and the bids are almost $600.