Some earliest, wooden/brass/porcelain and brass/porcelain combinations socceket-plugs for fan and lamps.

Ted Kaczor

Ted,  That's like an optical illusion-- With that line-up of fans, I needed to have the fixtures brought to my attention or I wouldn't have noticed...

That is one beautiful shelf.....

• Like 1

Nice Ted. The brass cap Hubbells can be used time period correct well into the teens, as with many Edison base plugs. The screw in Edison base became standardized I believe in the early part of the 20th. The brass caps sure are a pleasing addition time period correct, or not.

Stanley92-bicubic.jpg

WestyPlug5.jpg

• Like 1

Ted, excellent display all the way around, fans, plugs, setting all look great together.

"The brass cap Hubbells can be used time period correct well into the teens"

There's only one Hubbell separable plug i know of that can be firmly dated to 1903 or soon thereafter. The rest could be anywhere after that.

Well, no Hubbell plugs on the pictures, The first wooden one with 2 contacts does not have anymarkings on it, the other two with threaded stud inside the sockets are marked as fallow PATENTED, Manufactured by T-H Electric, Lynn. Mass. USA PAT. Jan.7 1879.  MAR 12 1885, Patents Applied For.

The Brass/prcelain are GE made with Cat. N0.34153 and two other Made by H.T.P Co. I was told by Ronnie Jeter it was a Philladelphia Co.  Perhaps Russ could find something on that one.

100_2595.JPG

100_2597.JPG

100_2598.JPG

100_2600.JPG

Sorry there Ted, I thought Russ was referring to the plugs on the far right and far left of the second pic. They looked like Hubbells.

Anything with an extinct base is a prize for certain. The GE plugs can be tough to get.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Ted, excellent display all the way around, fans, plugs, setting all look great together.

"The brass cap Hubbells can be used time period correct well into the teens"

There's only one Hubbell separable plug i know of that can be firmly dated to 1903 or soon thereafter. The rest could be anywhere after that.

yes those that you mentionned are Hubbell.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:44 AM, Steve Rockwell said:

Ted,  That's like an optical illusion-- With that line-up of fans, I needed to have the fixtures brought to my attention or I wouldn't have noticed...

That is one beautiful shelf.....

Thank you Steve, Plugs and sockets, I noticed have limited attention in our club posts so, I decided to expose some early ones. I know there are many more out there.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:47 AM, Ted Kaczor said:

Well, no Hubbell plugs on the pictures, The first wooden one with 2 contacts does not have anymarkings on it, the other two with threaded stud inside the sockets are marked as fallow PATENTED, Manufactured by T-H Electric, Lynn. Mass. USA PAT. Jan.7 1879.  MAR 12 1885, Patents Applied For.

The Brass/prcelain are GE made with Cat. N0.34153 and two other Made by H.T.P Co. I was told by Ronnie Jeter it was a Philladelphia Co.  Perhaps Russ could find something on that one.

100_2597.JPG

There is no way that that TH base plug end is marked "Manufactured by T-H Electric, Lynn. Mass. USA PAT. Jan.7 1879.  MAR 12 1885, Patents Applied For.". That is a put together plug end using the base off of a GE manufactured "New Type Edison" lamp. That smooth sided tapered base was never used by any other manufacturer other than General Electric co from about 1892 to about 1898 on light bulbs. GE Never made such a base into a plug end, and never made a plug end with any wood parts. Also the socket is not made by Thomson Houston either, hard to tell without seeing the internal mechanism but it is likely made by Bryant or Perkins. 

Here is the actual Thomson Houston plug end as shown in the T-H catalogs. 

DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0168.JPG

DSC_0169.JPG

IMG_2529.jpeg

Some of the earliest line voltage fans may have been supplied with the glass Bergmann plug end if the system used Edison sockets. Shown here along with a Bergmann No. 3-1/2 receptacle of the era. 

DSC_0358.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

I manufactured the bases for all the plugs on pictures using my own design vision, but not the screw in sockets, all plugs were purchased over som 35 years of time. No clue what they are etc. How about this one, manufacturer, year, anything? 193584888_100_2592(3).thumb.JPG.c1b1619956b65151ebf1a579e6e9dcc5.jpg.30e743da81b8b1e7e51c9feb4bf7269f.jpg.7fc2d65f91a663b8474b523c96a0c5db.jpg:

Edited by Ted Kaczor

I cannot help you with who made them. They are common enough even I own a few. I believe them to be French in origin though. No identifying tags. I think they're little works of art personally and am pleased as punch to own them.  I passed one on for 15 bucks last time, albeit to a friend. I even have a miniature...

IMG_20220108_094740150.jpg

IMG_20220108_094808705.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely display Ted. I really like the others posted as well. I am also surprised plugs don't get more attention, maybe few survived?

Last pic. An ediswan current tap. Plug inlets both sides then a female outlet for a bulb. Not sure on the type of wood but it sure is pretty.

IMG_20220114_150222097.jpg

• Like 1

Sun 16 Jan, 9AM Eastern... The CBS Sunday Morning just previewed today's show, with a feature entitled "Bright Idea" on antique lighting, featuring Chad Shapiro... often seen in these pages. If you're awake and able, it would be a good opportunity for an ocular feast... Maybe there are YouTube possibilities...?..... 

• Like 1