Polishing and preserving aluminum fan blade

Chris Jacobsen

I have a Hunter Zephair D10 that I am trying to fix up to replace my parents old one (used regularly for over 30yr). Their little D10 served well but needs two sleeves on the rotor and new bushings so it is being retired.

The original shiny aluminum blade has some pitting.  I once polished one of these blades but without coating the edges oxidized again.  Does anyone have any hints on what to coat these with after polishing to prevent oxidation after polishing?  This is a bathroom fan so it will be exposed to heavy moisture. 

Thanks!

On 5/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, Chris Jacobsen said:

I have a Hunter Zephair D10 that I am trying to fix up to replace my parents old one (used regularly for over 30yr). Their little D10 served well but needs two sleeves on the rotor and new bushings so it is being retired.

The original shiny aluminum blade has some pitting.  I once polished one of these blades but without coating the edges oxidized again.  Does anyone have any hints on what to coat these with after polishing to prevent oxidation after polishing?  This is a bathroom fan so it will be exposed to heavy moisture. 

Thanks!

You can lacquer them. Some are better for aluminum than others. I use this for aluminum blades. I don't know about other brands because I pass by the truckstop this is sold at several times a year. I just grab a couple cans each time. I figure if it's good enough for truckers bling it works for fan blades. Aluminum is a very active metal with oxidation so I lacquer it. I don't bother lacquering brass and just wax it unless I wont have easy access to it. But I think lacquer is the way to go. Probably need to reapply it every 4-5 years depending on usage. 

https://www.iowa80.com/pd/alumaclear-aluminum-clear-coat-spray-16-oz/232387/

Edited by Trevor Andersen

Thanks Trevor, exactly what I am looking for.  I think the original blades had some sort of coating on them originally because a very even yellowish coating was on it but coming off in some places like some coating that was crystallizing.