What do you think?

Garret Scott

Well, I was cleaning out under the garage stairs, and I found all these fans.   Should I send to the scrapper?   Apparently I collected far more ceiling fans than I remember some 25-30 years ago, back when they were $25 each.  Totally kidding about the scrapper, but it's weird, I remembered one Oak Leaf under there, but not the rest.  Strange how old age works, it's kind of like Christmas every now in then, with the failing memory and all...

Ok, for those reading past the first paragraph, I'm really wondering what this strange SMC fan is?   It's obviously somewhat modern, but I'm not sure if it's worth fooling with.  Anyone know anything about SMC fans?

I also found several apparently reproduction cast aluminum bottom plates, as well as some original cast iron ones. I assume it's a simple swap to make another GE Oak Leaf fan, well except for the side decorations and the nose. Does anyone know if those parts are available as repros?   I haven't been into the fans for quite a while, and it seemed like back in the 80's and 90's (I mean the 1980's and 90's) there was someone making some reproductions. 

Thanks,

Garret

Forgotten Fans from the late 90's that I collected_KIMG1076.JPG

Wierd SMC fan IMG1077.JPG

Edited by Garret Scott

I haven't heard of SMC but the name sounds suspiciously asian.  I personally avoid asian fans short of an Original Hunter.  I would be interested in one or two of them if you are looking to sell.  Let me know if interested.  

2 hours ago, Chris Jacobsen said:

I haven't heard of SMC but the name sounds suspiciously asian.  I personally avoid asian fans short of an Original Hunter.  I would be interested in one or two of them if you are looking to sell.  Let me know if interested.  

Chris, thanks for the reply. I looked closer, and the SMC does indeed have a label, a rather camouflaged sticky one.  And so yes, made in Asia, albeit the UK form of Asia: Hong Kong.  I think it has blades, so I supposed it's worth keeping if it works.   

I might set some of them go, but not just yet. I'm trying to inventory things. I'm on a quest to get 3 complete Oak Leaf fans going, and I think that I'm I'm about 5/6ths of the way there.  

I find these aluminium bottom plates interesting.  I assume they fit Hunter fans, since that would probably be the most popular decent fan back in the 80's-ish timeframe.    I do have a question for the real ceiling fan know-it-all: are Hunter and GE bottom plates interchangeable?  I'm just wondering all fans these aluminium bottoms fit?

I also noticed something else while hefting this stuff up the stairs, the Emerson and GE motors seem noticeably heavier than the Hunters.  I think the Westinghouse/Western Electric ones are heavier than the Hunters too. 

Hi Garret,  no big rush but I am on a semi-aggressive hunt as you probably noted.  I have a couple Original Hunters being cleaned and almost put together, I can compare a lid to a couple Emersons that I have apart but I dont habe anything GE.  At first thought I do not think they will swap directly.  I know the Hunters had optional covers which had grape motif, brass, leafs, etc.  I also have seen reproduction covers made reportedly since the 60s, probably even earlier.  Of course I am a little surprised China has not began capitalizing on these as it would be super easy for them to make.

From what I have noticed, Hunters are usually thinner metal and lower profile than most other vintage fans.  Easier to hang em I suppose.  

Howdy, I have recently acquired a GE Ceiling Fan very similar to the brown one in your picture and I was curious if you had the blades, blade irons, the original speed switch, and the original upper and lower canopies for it yet? If so would you be willing to part with them as my fan is missing all of those parts and I think my fan would be able to be made operational again with those parts.