1930 Emerson Northwind restored

Paul Carmody

This is my sons fan he brought by for cleaning and service.What a deal!Free fan and service for my life anyway.Then he left it and ran off with my restored 16” Westinghouse.

This was my first restore and what actually started me n this hobby nearly 5 years ago now,and probably close to 50 give or take fans later.I thought I would share pics.

I have a few of the resto pics from the day, and all the completed pics I just took.I know this is a bold statement but you may be looking at the most meticulous, and ridiculously,restored Northwind on the planet.All casting imperfections smoothed out even in the base screw slots.All hardware or bare metal items trued,oil blued,brass polished and cleared coated.Inside and out.All metal components reverse electrolysis to remove rust and paint in this case.

s-l1600_optimized.jpeg

s-l1600 (1)_optimized.jpeg

20180430_180537.jpeg

20180430_202123.jpeg

IMG_1167.png

20180525_191752.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 3

The steel blade was polished to a shine and I did a layering process using clear toner’s consisting of yellow,green,and black where the metal is still visible to make it appear to be brass.Believe me it took some experimenting and redoing to accomplish this effect.

The fan body is gun sprayed with an enamel and hardener, wet sanded then hand buffed. The speed selector indicator. I went with bare metal and a poor man’s brass coat.

20180501_221251.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1129.jpeg

IMG_1165.png

IMG_1162.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

IMG_1139.jpeg

IMG_1138.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 3

This over complicated fan speed controller.Now I just set them on a constant 110v.These little guys spin way too fast and warm on high at 120v+

IMG_1170.jpeg

• Like 1

I hope you enjoyed.My son and his wife have some interest,that’s about it in my circle, but I think only you guys and gals can  appreciate a ridiculous amount of hours spent on a fan restoration.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

• Like 5

• Paul Carmody changed the title to 1930 Emerson Northwind restored

Paul

This is a beautiful restoration with a wonderful fan for your collection.   Thank you for posting this for us.  

Mel

• Like 1

Wow, that’s a high level restoration! I’d be interested to know more about the process you used to make the steel blade look like brass. Very impressive!! Thanks for posting 

• Like 1