Replacement Motors

Andrew Cook

Greetings! 
I am curious if anyone has looked into replacement motors of the fractional HP variety for an old/failed or dlfailing box fans? My example comes from an older Lakewood circulator with a Westinghouse motor. Having procured a fan from a local thrift store and after running it a bit here at the house, I recognized that the motor is at the end of the road and is slowly but surely dying. I wonder if there is a replacement? I remembered helping a neighbor with his attic fan (we replace the motor) and recall that motor looking exactly like some of the box fan motor from about 1989 and forward (think Lasko or Lakewood).  After a quick search I was able to find it (the fan motor) along with other fractional 3speed motors. Knowing this, I wanted to ask the group if anyone has used one as a replacement alternative? https://mccombssupply.com/5-diameter-white-attic-fan-motor-ventilator-for-broan-69317-97009317-99080267-f0516b3235-f0516b2516/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvdajBhBEEiwAeMh1UwsZ8UKopLN1Kk70fMnQ204U8wKoi9mMnK7ETRN2W5nC0vNDg4-V4BoC5AUQAvD_BwE

I have a 3 speed 6 pole McMillan shaded pole motor that came out a box fan.  It still has the speed switch attached.

20230530_201604.jpg

20230530_201546.jpg

20230530_201528.jpg

ANDREW AND KEN ...THE ISSUE WITH OLD MOTORS GOING BAD IS IT IS OFTEN DIFFICULT TO FIND THE RIGHT ONE, TURNING THE CORRECT DIRECTION FITTING THE MOUNTING AND ABLE TO HANDLE THE FAN BLADE.  THE MOTOR KEN SHOWS ABOVE WILL FIT  A BUNCH OF THE LATER BOX FANS OF THE LAKEWOOD VARIETY WHEN THEN DOWNSIZED FROM THE 1/2" SHAFT TO THE 3"8 . IT WONT RUN A HEAVY METAL BLADE , JUST THE 5 WING  PLASTIC TYPE. 

NOW THAT BEING SAID THERE ARE MOTORS THAT "LOOK" LIKE THEY WILL FIT IN A WINDOW FAN OR BOX FAN, {BUT}  WONT BE PERFECT . BELIEVE IT OR NOT A GARAGE DOOR OPENER MOTOR MIGHT LOOK LIKE A GOOD FIT, AND THEY REVERSE...BUT... THEY ARE ONE SPEED AND THE RPM MIGHT BE NO GOOD. ALSO THE SHAFT MIGHT BE EXCESSIVELY LONG.......THE ATTIC FAN MOTORS FOR FITTING IN TO THE GABLE VANS OR THE "MUSHROOM" TYPE ROOF FANS MIGHT WORK IN A DYING WINDOW OR BOX FAN, BUT THE RPM MIGHT NOT BE RIGHT AND NONE WILL BE REVERSIBLE OFR MULTI SPEED . ALSO THE SHAFT MIGHT NOT BE THE RIGHT LENGTH AND THE TURNING DIRECTION MIGHT BE BACKWARDS.  THOSE FANS USUALLY ARE 12"-15" BLADE DEPENDING ON THE BRAND WITH MOST BEING 14" 

SO..... ANY REPLACEMENT MOTOR WILL DEPEND ON THE FAN YOU ARE TRYING TO FIX AND THE FINITE SUPPLY OF USED GOOD CONDITION MOTORS IS PRETTY MUCH WITH THE AFCA MEMBERS.  I THINK MCMILLAN MIGHT STILL MAKE MOTORS BUT HOW TO GET ONE? GRAINGER OFFERED MOTORS BUT THEY WERE FOR APPLICATIONS WHERE ONE SPEED WAS SUITABLE 

ANY SUGGESTIONS OUT THERE FROM OTHER CLUB MEMBERS? 

Thanks, Tom! I didn’t even think about the shaft size 3/8 vs 1/2. The motor I’m working to replace is an older Westinghouse motor supplied to Lakewood for a floor circulator. In tandem, I am working to clean the existing motor with a lot of buildup on the inside from dust and debris, and who knows what else. 
I was specifically looking at some motors Dayton has out there l, but to your other point on single speed, is glaring issue with very few options going into two or three speed setups. I recall sometime ago when Vornado got restarted, their floor circulators and several other models used a variable speed control for their motors. Would something like that arrangement work with a single speed industrial electric motor? Understand that rotation is still a critical factor. I look forward to hearing more insight from you and appreciate your taking the time to weigh in on this. 

Finally, thanks Ken for your contribution: should I come across a lighter weighted fan needing a motor, I will reach out to you! 

I HAVE A FAN FRPMM ROB DUFFY  THAT WAS A CHEAPIE SINGLE SPEED  20" BOX FAN FROMTHE 1970S AND HE ADDED A FAN CONTROLLER (SUITABLE FOR FAN MOTORS NOT A LIGHT DIMMER) THAT YOU WOULD MOUNT IN A WALL BOX. IT WORKS GREAT AND HE DID A GOOD JOB AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT BELONGS. YOU COULD DO THAT.  AS LONG AS THE MOTOR SHAFT WAS THE RIGHT LENGTH ...SOME MCMILLAN MOTORS YOU CAN TURN THE STATOR IF THE WIRING MACHES UP.,,,ALWAYS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT! 

Appreciate that extra bit on the speed controller. I have to lol a little about it not being a light controller. I had a hunter original that I hooked up to a lamp dimmer, needless to say the motor did not work all that well - had a horrid buzzing sounds and the switch itself was very hot. And that’s when I learned about lamp dimmers vs. rheostat (Fan speed controllers) . 
thanks again!!

I think you might be able motors like these new from vent fans.  Looks like a newer one similar to what I bought 3yr ago to replace a failed attic vent.

• 1 month later...

To update everyone who was interested; while strolling the aisles of my local big orange hardware store, I noticed a replacement motor for a house fan. After checking the size on the rotor and noting it would fit, I went ahead and purchased the motor. Once home I proceed to investigate whether or not the motor would fit, upon setting it in the housing - it fit like a dream.  Since this was a single speed motor, I did try one of the motor controllers I had in stock - I found that while it would work on the high setting, anything lower would not function. I decided that a single speed was good enough for a circulator type fan and have been using it all summer. I will say that even though it’s a single speed motor, it really doesn’t bother me as it is super quiet on the one speed it has. All in all I am happy.  I am now trying to rebuild the original Westinghouse motor, but I think it might just be shot. I’ll update with pictures soon. 

YOU WERE LUCKY TO FIND ANYTHING IN A HARDWARE STORE ...OUR STORES AROUND HERE BARELY HAVE ANYTHING OLD-SCHOOL, ITS ALL REPLACE TE ENTIRE UNIT PRODUCTS 

On 8/7/2023 at 8:04 AM, Tom Zapf said:

YOU WERE LUCKY TO FIND ANYTHING IN A HARDWARE STORE ...OUR STORES AROUND HERE BARELY HAVE ANYTHING OLD-SCHOOL, ITS ALL REPLACE TE ENTIRE UNIT PRODUCTS 

You know Tom, I was shocked to find it, at the depot of all stores.  It was in the strangest of places, tucked away over by the roofing material. 

MAYBE THEY HAVE THEM FOR ROOFERS WHO ARE DEALING WITH A DEAD ONE ON A PROJECT AND INSTEAD OF CUTTING OUT THE OLD ONE THEY CHANGE THE MOTOR... STILL A SURPRISE !

Surprisingly attic fan motors have been the same form factor for ages.  We have a 60s attic fan and replaced the motor last year and it was bolt-in.  We just added the digial temperature controller to it.  For a few months I used a box fan motor in there on high.