Source for flexible 3wire cables with braid covering?

Chris Jacobsen

1 hour ago, Tony Clayton said:

Tom,

Your wire has been delivered as promised. 

I sent you 3 different types.

20/3 Westinghouse spring strain relief motors

18/3 Standard Twisted Overbraid 

18/3 Round Emerson 

I look forward to your feedback. 

Tony

Screenshot_20230613-100841_Chrome.jpg

Wow, Fort Smith.  My wifes from there, nice town and my son loved the little train ride in the park couple years ago.

On 6/5/2023 at 4:08 PM, Thomas Newcity said:

For the 20 + years that I have been restoring, this (OTR) is the very best head wire available.  

I just received the 50’ roll of 3 conductor cloth covered wire this week from Antique Fan Parts. I have used their wire for years as it is very flexible. ~ Stan Adams

There are a number of people loyal to the Old Tyme OTR wire, I was one of them, for good reason, it is quality wire. You can't just pop out and say I am John Doe with the prettiest wire on the block with your loyal patrons cheering in the bleachers and expect to sway the OTR loyalty of members like Stan and Tom, or for that matter myself. 

It was never my intention to disrespect, or "challenge" Tony's integrity. Actually, I have his samples and hope I have been supportive in helping to validate what you can't see. The quality of his wire sheathing, I am very impressed with. And we went a step further "validating" his 18 AWG fine wire strand count for people to SEE. 150 strands with silicon insulation adds up to quality supple 18 AWG single conductor head cord wire for oscillators.  And I really like that $149.95 per 50' spool of black standard 3-wire head wire. 🙂

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

Tony, everyone agrees your wire is a great product. Except this one guy. Who's never used it. He decided he had nothing better to do, except rail about a product he's never used. For some inexplicable reason. 

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

I just received the 50’ roll of 3 conductor cloth covered wire this week from Antique Fan Parts. I have used their wire for years as it is very flexible. ~ Stan Adams

There are a number of people loyal to the Old Tyme OTR wire, I was one of them, for good reason, it is quality wire. You can't just pop out and say I am John Doe with the prettiest wire on the block with your loyal patrons cheering in the bleachers and expect to sway the OTR loyalty of members like Stan and Tom, or for that matter myself. 

It was never my intention to disrespect, or "challenge" Tony's integrity. Actually, I have his samples and hope I have been supportive in helping to validate what you can't see. The quality of his wire sheathing, I am very impressed with. And we went a step further "validating" his 18 AWG fine wire strand count for people to SEE. 150 strands with silicon insulation adds up to quality supple 18 AWG single conductor head cord wire for oscillators.  And I really like that $149.95 per 50' spool of black standard 3-wire head wire. 🙂

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4164.JPG

Ok Russ, we get it already.  Thank you for your time in actually counting the individual wires in the cable, I am sure it was time consuming.  As starter of the thread I believe we all have gained a lot of insight on 3cable braided sheath suppliers and quality which was the original intent.  We can probably leave this in archive now for others after us to appreciate.

3 hours ago, Michael Rathberger said:

Tony, everyone agrees your wire is a great product. Except this one guy. Who's never used it. He decided he had nothing better to do, except rail about a product he's never used. For some inexplicable reason. 

Well, whoever that guy is, I strongly suggest that he read this post carefully, if he ever had an element of doubt, he shouldn't anymore. 

Tony, the only reason I have not ordered your standard head cord since you sent those nice samples of yours is I still have some of the original Old TYME RADIO head cord left. You have a great day! 🙂

I've used both. Acquired some of Tony's wire from a generous collector.

They're both very supple, but I believe Tony's wire is closer to the original. The OTR wire has a noticable braid to itunder the sheath and a slightly shinier appearance. 

But otherwise, just use what you like. 

On 6/6/2023 at 8:19 PM, Tony Clayton said:

Russ I have nothing more than a spread sheet. When in doubt cut a section of Old School Wire apart and count it like you did OTR.  I will be first to admit I have never counted them. I just know its extremely flexible. 

Below are the specs I have.

18 AWG

8 amp 

600 volt 

392 fahrenheit 

150 strands of 0.00315 inch Oxygen free tinned copper with a silicone jacket. 

FWIW....It appears I may have upset Tony and his devoted patrons. This was not my intention at all. My goal was to offer support to Tony, believe it or not. He has always been supportive toward me. I apologize to all concerned if you took my goal here as challenging Tony's wire quality, and integrity.

I separated and counted all those tiny wires to VALIDATE what is INSIDE OTR and Tony's sheathed wire. One could have used a wire gauge on the individual conductors, but I decided to make 18 AWG fine supple wire with silicon insulation clearly visible for anyone having doubts. Those individual wires are so fine, 18 individual strand difference is not going to make or break it.

I admit I really didn't want to do it twice, that being counting Tony's wire strands individually on a piece of paper, but being he was not up to it, I decided to go ahead with it. 🙂

I think it is great Tony offers a quality standard black cloth sheathed head cord at a very reasonable price. I wanted show Tony's wire is not just pretty on the outside, it has what it takes on the inside. When my original OTR head wire runs out, I will certainly order a 50' spool from him with no hesitation. Thanks again, Tony.

IMG_4132.thumb.JPG.a2d697e98b929f433f54129b12b61a33.jpg

IMG_4157.JPG

• 6 months later...

I just got this from Antique Fan Supply OTR and it’s not color coded or ridged?? It use to have colored thread ,I think is where I got the bottom one a few years back.I was going to use it and the battery is dead on my Multimeter to distinguish.Both 2 and three core.I would have went with Tony but I only needed short amounts.

IMG_1902.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody