Webley fan restoration

Bill Dunlap

Here's a short video of this fan. I'm not really sure what year it is, but it's near the cut-off point of 1950. So..? Anyway, details. All aluminum construction. Sorry, Louis, that nixes the gun blue theme. Unusual oscillation, but very effective. One speed, shaded pole, 12 inch blade. You should see how this fan wall mounts. It's pretty cool.

The cage is, um, kinda problematic if it isn't perfectly straight. I spent a good few hours straightening this one. The cage needs to be near perfectly centered to the fan for the linkage to work properly. Also the back ring and struts are cast together and four pieces make a full ring and four mounts. Cast aluminum can just shatter in your hands when you try to bend it, so I bent them little by little with some anxiety until they were straight. 

I think it's a brilliant design overall. Nice, quiet air mover with some style. The styles seems more late 30's to me, but the engineering is definitely post war. Lots of crashed B-17's in England in those days to melt down and make fans with.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3