How Many Pole Stator In A R&M 2404 & 2104

Russ Huber

Not meant to be a trick question, but actually the blades have a shallow pitch. The list 2404 posted above here is mine. I clocked it on the strobe on high speed oscillation off at a tad over 1500 RPM. It has a basket weave winding 4 pole motor.  I was curious if anyone ever clocked RPM on the stationary partner 6 wing list 2104 as my suspicion is it has the same 4 pole motor. Same blade, same blade pitch.

I have a list 2104 6 wing stationary in my stash which was determined to have not only a bad speed coil, but stator as well. As of yesterday, I performed minor surgery and it runs great with a 6-pole motor for $10 and labor.

The later R&M list 5204 4 wing blade oscillator has a 6-pole motor in it. I had one that ran well, but the pot metal pivot was fractured and wired together. I bought it years ago for $10. The oscillation hardware was gone. I transplanted the stator, rotor, and speed coil from the list 5204 into the list 2104. The only modifications done were on the stator and rotor. The switch had correct bolt hole arrangement to mount it on the base plate of the 2104. 

I had to neatly hack saw the worm off the back of the 5204 rotor to the correct length of the rear rotor shaft of the 2104 rotor. After the hack saw job, I just dressed the end of the rotor shaft. Both rotor shafts are same diameter. The only modification done to the stator was with a high-speed grinder I had to measure and channel two grooves at the bottom of the stator so the large rivet heads that hold the stamped steel motor housing to the support post have clearance for the rivet heads when inserting the stator. The threaded stator screw holes match between the two fans.

I don't know about all list 5204 models, but mine had a 4-wing blade with 6 pole motor. There are numbers of 5204 R&Ms out there. 

I clocked blade speed on my 6-wing list 2104 now with the transplant at 1110 RPM high, 1070 medium, 1030 low.  Great family or bedroom fan.

429873049_7144268042348292_4193885965963752746_n.jpg

unnamed.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ef029c5c3a7fc3ec134d0e39f86a4bc1.jpg

The only 6 blade 6 pole motors I have seen on an R&M was on a tank motor. I have never seen a 6 blade R&M stamped steel with anything but a four pole. The six pole didn’t come out until the deep pitch aluminum blade of the next generation & it hung around through the art deco period. 

Posted (edited)

Well, Stan, I have a 6 pole 2104 now. 🙂 Taking the stator out on the R&M 2404 and 2104 was not bad at all. I just drilled two opposing holes in the housing out to 1/4", rested the housing edges on a bench vice, and drove the stators out with a 1/4" drift punch. After carefully wire wheeling the outside of the stator laminations clean, and wire wheeling with a handheld drill the inside of the housing where the stator inserts. I was able to slide the stator into place with hand pressure.

Here are my modifications to transplant the 4 wing 5204 6 pole stator, rotor, and switch into the sick 6 wing 2104 and get her up and running again. As previously stated, the list 5204 switch bolted right on to the 2104 base plate no modifications.

IMG_5579.JPG

IMG_5578.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pivot mounting rivet head passage grooves made in stator laminations with high-speed angle grinder. 

IMG_5578.JPG

58089_W3.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

what they said - - stamped, 4 poles - - only "tanks" had 6. ANd some stamped had either 4 or 6 wings.

R&M LIST 1151 and 1404s.jpg

R&M LIST 2840.jpg

R&M LIST 11590 Restored 4 Sale.jpg

• Like 1