My first S3

Marc Sova

Scored my first century S3 yesterday. What can you tel me about it?
What year?

Pot metal or no pot metal?

Is it Japan or black paint?

The little switch on top of the gearbox does not move and I don’t want to force it. Any tips on that?

What’s the best method for getting oil in that little ball bearing type oiler? (My zoom spout oiler didn’t really do a good job of pressing the ball in and putting oil in… I have a couple old metal pump oilers, but I just haven’t got them cleaned up and loaded with proper oil yet). 

Also, the switch is missing the plastic/bakelite(?) cover piece. Do the usual suspects that make these have them for this model? 

It works great on all five speeds. Pretty distinct too. Obviously a total tear down of the gearbox at least is in order, but I’m not ready to monkey around with this yet since I’ve never had one of these. 

Cage has seen better days. But it is all brass and fixable. I’m sure. Maybe with a couple new S wires, etc..

Also…,whereas Emerson’s have that adjustible Collar, those seems to have a sort of cogged mechanism that you can rotate the top half of the fan with  am I correct in that? 

thanks 

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_0095.jpeg

IMG_0096.jpeg

IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

IMG_0101.jpeg

Edited by Marc Sova
Add content
  • Like 3

Hi Marc. Every good collection should have a skeletal S3. The switch is perfect as it is. There is no bakelite covering on it. You'll see why when you open the bottom as there is a hard leather part of the speed coil switch that insulates. You can see it below just peering out from beneath the switch.

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.5a72fb1482ec3ec94d69bb37f5c70ea3.JPG

The only pot metal on this fan is the gear box as far as I remember. The fan is definitely japanned.

This is a five speed fan but the issue with some of these speed coils is that sometimes, there isn't a lot of difference between the speeds. Be gentle around the speed numbers as you clean. Those are nice to have and hard rubbing will remove them. As I recall, one of our members produces a decal that will replace these numbers with Slow, 2, 3, 4 and Fast.

This fan's gears are a marvel of engineering and very clever. Remove the rear plate on the gear box and you will see this gear:

IMG_1057.thumb.JPG.61eedeb07f2079c6d78dc33a70cb8888.JPG

IMG_1023.thumb.JPG.7c6332f7c55689c1fd6f170ed290b9c9.JPG

The two little ball bearings compress into the shaft so that the little lever (the one you say doesn't move) has a nub on the end of it that fits into the far right groove pushing the center gear on and off of these ball bearings which locks and unlocks the oscillation. The rotor looks like this:

IMG_1117.thumb.JPG.1a5fe7840d050d8d9c6e089deea6feba.JPG

The little lever appears on the far right of the picture below. You can see the nub on the end of it. As i recall, there is a set screw on the back of the gear case that must be removed to pull this lever up and out. That set screw fits into the center groove on that lever.

IMG_1118.thumb.JPG.75ef8cd75c34adc2dc6525106863f819.JPG

The press oiler on top of the gear case can be removed with a small open end box wrench for cleaning so that it will depress more easily (above picture far left).

The worm gear (below) can easily be removed so that you can slide the gears out of the rear case to clean them repack in red and tacky grease.

IMG_1024.thumb.JPG.6bd5da6e7f2bf31c88cb119d33e54a34.JPG

That center cog mechanism, allows the re-orientation of the fan's arc swing. You would move that while the fan is off. It controls where the arc begins and ends. Very clever design.

The stator comes out easily on these fans. Take care to label the wires so you know what wire goes where on the speed coil. I attach diagrams which you may find useful.

Image1.thumb.jpg.815432a914d1bdb30fbf982b6e854862.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.2f92ed893d1904d84ac982b7ce160308.jpg

Hope this information is helpful to you, Marc. Congratulations on a nice acquisition!

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 3

I should also point out, that there are two covers on either side of the gear box. They are made of brass (painted black) and can be pried off with a putty knife. Take care when you do this as they are very pliable and will bend. You can see one in the picture below.

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.d23b39b2ab6d8bbc516a7530d9ed5405.JPG

• Like 1

Wow. Thank you SO much for this through reply. So as far as getting the osc on/off lever working…. I guess I pretty much have to go into the gearbox and gently pull things out and see what I got. Do you think the little nub or something might be broken off as to why it doesn’t move?

Hi Marc. No, I don't think the little nub is broken off. That would be very unusual. Unscrew the set screw and lift the lever up and out and you can examine it. A good clean of all those gears will loosen everything up nicely - not to worry.

• Like 1

All cast iron. They are very good fans but many have shot bearings from being run to death. 

• Like 1

Oscillating mechanism patent filing 1915. 

US1326155-drawings-page-1.thumb.png.43dc347096c95faab61aed35e5413bf5.png

US1326155-drawings-page-2.thumb.png.d585655e0a6168a7cabfabe0243bcd10.png

IMG_1023.thumb.JPG.7c6332f7c55689c1fd6f170ed290b9c9.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Stamp steel base Century models were introduced in 1914. This would be the earlier oscillating mechanism for the 1914 introduction models. The first/introduction Century cast base desk fan models were introduced in 1911. 

1911 Century Skeletal 12" Oscillating Desk Fan 1st S3 Oscillator All Original - Antique Fan Supply Co (antiquefanparts.com)

DSCF5821__39821.jpg

Electrical Review and Western Electrician with which is Consolidated Electr... - Google Books

Century14.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

All cast iron. 

Cast iron bases 1911-13. Possibly some early models in 14?

• Like 1