the Westy vane.

Being on the inter-web
& well advertised, usually
results in hammer prices
way beyond my budget.

I got none.  pacifier.gif.3d8a7a1ccc6272a625d6cdeca2d523c2.gif

Was 20 fan lots.  Anyone
here get any of them?

I was watching but decided not to bid because I knew other AFCA members were bidding on those.  Plenty of other opportunities out there.

Bid on both, but went more after the Westy Vane. There were a couple of annoying bidders that kept bidding up a couple of $ in the last 20 or so seconds to extend the auction. I thought I had it about 5 times but a last second bid extended it. I put in my max and after adding buyers premium and shipping, it just wasn't worth it to stay in since I didn't know if fan even had good motor or switch. I was the last one to drop if I read the bid history correctly.  Had things to do and wasn't going to sit there and play auction sniper all evening. I'll find one someday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Morris said:

Bid on both, but went more after the Westy Vane. There were a couple of annoying bidders that kept bidding up a couple of $ in the last 20 or so seconds to extend the auction. I thought I had it about 5 times but a last second bid extended it. I put in my max and after adding buyers premium and shipping, it just wasn't worth it to stay in since I didn't know if fan even had good motor or switch. I was the last one to drop if I read the bid history correctly.  Had things to do and wasn't going to sit there and play auction sniper all evening. I'll find one someday.

What did it sell for?

I believe it was $573 + 15% + shipping. The shipping estimate the auction house gave me was right at $100. So I was looking at around $750 to get it to my door hopefully intact. I've seen 2 sold recently in working condition for between 700 and 800.  There was no telling how long the snipers were going to sit there and 2 dollar it to death. If I knew for sure it worked and was complete, I would have gone higher.  Honestly, shipping that fan made me nervous and I didn't want $750 of Westy Vane pieces.

I will just have to go to some meets or maybe I will get lucky elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Morris said:

There were a couple of annoying bidders...

I blame the auction co.

Apparently the auction
co. did not set up a bid
increment schedule, so
it was a default $1.

Below is an example of
what a good auction co.
does...

Screenshot_20240402-215435_Chrome.jpg.19660eb80021c640b4e0ac459e2fa295.jpg

And then to make matters
worse, they implemented a
"soft close" of +3 minutes.

IMO, 1 minute is plenty
of time to up a bid.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I won the PI241 from that auction. Got a package yesterday and opened it up to see my Emerson... Didn't know Emerson offered an oscillating PI241. Oh wait, that's not the right fan. Looks like I got someone else's fan. Not happy. Auction house didn't exactly do a good packing job either. Someone here win an R&M 6 wing oscillator (think it's lot 201)? I've got your fan! Maybe you have mine?

IMG_20240410_192107171.jpg

IMG_20240410_192110118.jpg

IMG_20240410_192115922.jpg

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Patrick Ray said:

Well, I won the PI241 from that auction. Got a package yesterday and opened it up to see my Emerson... Didn't know Emerson offered an oscillating PI241. Oh wait, that's not the right fan. Looks like I got someone else's fan. Not happy. Auction house didn't exactly do a good packing job either. Someone here win an R&M 6 wing oscillator (think it's lot 201)? I've got your fan! Maybe you have mine?

I presume you immediately contacted them. That's a serious mistake for an auction house and they are 100% obligated to fix it. I'd also venture to guess the PI241 ended a lot higher than that did.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Denney said:

I presume you immediately contacted them. That's a serious mistake for an auction house and they are 100% obligated to fix it. I'd also venture to guess the PI241 ended a lot higher than that did.

Called, voicemail. Emailed, no response. I'll be patient and give em till tomorrow to respond. But, yeah, I wouldn't have spent what I spent for a pristine version of what I received. Mistakes happen, we are human. But I fear the human factor of delivery drivers and dishonest people to the condition of the Emerson. 

13 hours ago, Patrick Ray said:

Called, voicemail. Emailed, no response. I'll be patient and give em till tomorrow to respond. But, yeah, I wouldn't have spent what I spent for a pristine version of what I received. Mistakes happen, we are human. But I fear the human factor of delivery drivers and dishonest people to the condition of the Emerson. 

There is a chance if auction house used independent packing company they will try to declare nonfeasance. If it comes down to it your credit card company can assist in returning and refund through chargeback. Hopefully the house is between auctions and just not had a chance to respond.

Edited by Chris Campbell
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris Campbell said:

There is a chance if auction house used independent packing company they will try to declare nonfeasance. If it comes down to it your credit card company can assist in returning and refund through chargeback. Hopefully the house is between auctions and just not had a chance to respond.

You'd hope that between a couple emails and voicemail that they would have responded. But nothing yet. I'll have to check but I think the shipping was in house. 

• Like 1

I understand the frustration, same thing happened to me a little over a year ago. Instead of an Emerson 21646, I got a cheap ceiling fan in its original box. That mirrored and sparkly ceiling fan would have looked fine in a disco or a bordello, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for when I opened the box.  Good new is the auction house did make it right and I eventually got the correct fan. It took some time and a little hassle. I tried to walk the line of being persistent without being annoying and I guess I succeeded.

Good luck, I hope they get you the right fan in good shape.  FYI the annoying bidder comment was solely about the Vane auction. I dropped out of the PI241 auction to go after the vane.

I was in the Vane auction early on. But my focus was on the Emerson. I see my salesmanship side coming out with being nicely persistent. Don't annoy. Don't yell and scream. Just convey my thoughts and nicely get them to go in the direction that I want. But, dang, I need to hear back from them first!

Well I opened a dispute with my credit card company as I still have yet to hear back from the auction house; called them again with no answer.  Hopefully I can at least get my money back!  At this rate, there may be a kinda janky R&M as a door prize at my meet in June! 

It's your best bet. Get the money back and move on. I can't imagine the person holding the PI241 is itching to get their damaged R&M anytime soon. Who knows if the PI241 even made it safe. That person is probably filing a claim too....

2 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

It's your best bet. Get the money back and move on. I can't imagine the person holding the PI241 is itching to get their damaged R&M anytime soon. Who knows if the PI241 even made it safe. That person is probably filing a claim too....

I'm sure whoever got the PI241 is tickled that they got that for what they spent on the R&M. Even damaged, I'm sure they got a deal. 

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been on the forum in awhile, but figured I'd comment on this.

I won the cageless Pancake from that auction. Ended up driving to pick it up as there was a rare grapeleaf Tuerk ceiling fan on FB Marketplace in the same town, and I did not want to ship that.

No, I did not get the PI241...and I didn't even see it sitting at the auction when I got my Pancake. I arrived midway through the auction pickup time window.

I did see what I now know is Nick's vane and the dreaded 6-wing R&M, plus a GE BMY and a couple others. No PI241, unless it was hidden. It appeared several fans had already been picked up that day before I arrived.

The guy working there just let me go grab my fan without much supervision. I can see how maybe a local pickup buyer could have done a "swaperoo", but I cannot prove or disprove that. Hopefully the auction responds to you and resolves the situation, that sucks! 👎

20240401_141308.jpg

20240403_155817.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a fun update... Auction house provided my credit card company with some sort of information that made them find the auction house in favor of the dispute. Had to reopen the dispute. I ain't going down without a fight. These guys ain't gonna win this! They need to own up to their mistakes. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Patrick Ray said:

Here's a fun update... Auction house provided my credit card company with some sort of information that made them find the auction house in favor of the dispute. Had to reopen the dispute. I ain't going down without a fight. These guys ain't gonna win this! They need to own up to their mistakes. 

Screw a second run, it's attorney time. You have proof of, not only of what you didn't receive and should have, but what you did receive and shouldn't have. Of course, the person that knowingly received the wrong item should speak up and avoid all this drama, but when you get a free upgrade, who can blame you for keeping quiet about it.

5 hours ago, Nicholas Denney said:

...person that knowingly received the wrong item...  ...who can blame you for keeping quiet about it. [?]

Conscience, honor,
dignity, self-respect...

Matthew 7:12

• Like 1