Why would this fan heat up.

Tim Babcock

I rewound this motor with new magnet wire. It runs great. But I let it run and it started to smoke after about 15 minutes. The motor housing got warm, not burn hot but good and warm. What are some things that could cause this? I must have messed up, Thanks for any advice1.jpg.9b747fd1ee8b22af50a62f557e029504.jpg2.thumb.JPG.14b706aac44b11a5f4766fb647309289.JPGDSC00403.thumb.JPG.04c166c7f3aacbd7621ce71d67c6b79a.JPGDSC00415.thumb.JPG.a062bf86a10000a6fd2c88a27a508a8d.JPGDSC00416.thumb.JPG.c3ec2a0cb0447bab8b1dfae3d829a0d0.JPG

If you varnished the windings, they will "outgas" when they warm up. If the motor is not getting over 160 degrees you should be okay.

Using too few turns of wire will cause the motor to over-amp and burn up. Did you count the turns of wire in the original coils?

How I did it was to unwind a coil, I measured one turn, than took the over all by feet times 12  and then devided the inches in one turn and gave it about 5 more turns to be safe. Came out to around 450 turns on a single coil side.

I have not considered it, but too many turns could cause overheating by induction. I would suggest taking the coil that you have left and counting the actual turns and using the same number of turns with the exact wire gauge to make your new coils. 

Motors are wound with fewer turns for lower voltage and more turns for higher voltage.

28 minutes ago, Tim Babcock said:

How I did it was to unwind a coil, I measured one turn, than took the over all by feet times 12  and then devided the inches in one turn and gave it about 5 more turns to be safe. Came out to around 450 turns on a single coil side.

You had the old coils in
hand,...

why didn't you just count
the turns in one of 'em?

Screenshot_20240410-150654_Chrome.jpg.f78c1e5ecaabbc055455e266207ee9f3.jpg

Because the coils were broken and the enamel was stuck together. It was all I could do to just get the wire apart and line it up so I could do an over all measurement. It would unwind for several coils then break or pull off several coils ect. Just easier to measure one coil turn, then measure the over all coils. Also one coil was just too messed up to even count anything about it. Every turn would break off. The wire is really thin so it was just not possible to do a coil by coil pull on it.

• Like 1

The rotor is fully free, I let it run for about half an hour and the Amp draw went down to .59, It did not smoke but it slowly got warmer. The hottest it got was like your hot tap water on your hand where its does not burn you but it not comfortable to hold your hand on it. I need to go to Harbor Freight and get a laser temp gun. 

I used a set of micrometers to measure the wire that came out and what I put in. What came out measures  .010 30 gauge. What I put in is .008 32 gauge. I don't have any 30 gauge wire, not sure if it will make that big of a difference. If so I can order the 30 and rewind it.

The two essential tools for motor rewinding other than a winder/counter and forms are calipers and a GRAM SCALE. It makes counting turns unnecessary and winding coils near effortless. 

• Like 2

If I was going to rewind

7 minutes ago, Nicholas Denney said:

The two essential tools for motor rewinding other than a winder/counter and forms are calipers and a GRAM SCALE. It makes counting turns unnecessary and winding coils near effortless. 

I suppose if I were going to do more than these small two winding electric motors it would be a good tool to get. But since at least for now I am not doing rewinding, and if I do its only these small electric motors its not worth the money to buy a winder. It may get to a point where I want to expand in that area. but not at the moment.

I've done two, the fidelity blower and a pancake coil. Both had cloth covered wire. Not sure a gram scale would be useful. That and what I wound with was enameled wire, double coated. I would imagine the coating has a weight. 

• Like 1

I checked a handy fan I have it it gets warm but just. I ordered the 30 gauge wire and will rewind it.

I just got done making the new coils and installing them. The fan runs at higher RPMs. Its running at .89 amps and the temp is 123F after about 15 minutes. Still seems a bit high. Not sure if this will be an issue but if she burns out I will look for a donor coil.

• Like 1