Help with Gilbert Polar Cub?

Mark McCloskey

New to this forum so go easy! I'm so glad I found this site - it's obvious I came to the right place to get an education. We recently "inherited" a small collection of vintage and antique fans and I'm in the early stages of figuring out what they are so I can sell them. This is what I grabbed off the shelf yesterday and I THINK it is an early (1916?) Gilbert Polar Cub - 6". It seems to be in decent shape but as you can see the cord is a little rough so I didn't attempt to plug it in. Any help with information on this fan would be appreciated. Haven't seen too many like it for sale?

Here is the list of what I THINK I have  (again, I don't know squat about older fans).

1.    Samson United Corp. “Safe-Flex” Model 1046N fan, 10” rubber blades, runs and oscillates, excellent condition

2.   Coronado 8” blue base, poor condition, made for Gambles?

3.   Cold Wave 8”, brass plated blades? rough shape 

4.   F.A Smith Artic Aire 10” fan, no round badge – clip on rectangular badge, gooseneck, 1930’s? very good condition

5.   Chicago Electric MFG. Co., Sterling, Type ASU, runs, 8”

6.   Fitzgerald Star Electric Fan, Style 2200, blades spin but not as they should, nickel-plated, 8”, ca 1920-1930

900-634 (2).JPG

900-634 (4).JPG

900-634 (10).JPG

900-634 (9).JPG

• Like 1

Nice early AC Gilbert. I think you’re about right on the date. My memory is that this was the second iteration of the cub under Gilbert. The first had a larger center badge and, before that, it went under the Mysto name. Mystos are more elusive. I have two like this. Not common but wouldn’t say rare. After this, they started carrying a “type” on the motor tag - E, C, D, G, and H. Those get pretty common. Yours looks to be in nice shape. Congrats!  

Thanks Dave and Russ - I think I'm on the right track. Still can't find any comparables to gauge what it's worth - what would you think a fair value would be?

That list . . super common n"Dimestore" fans, 20 -  40 MAX running, only the Polar Cub is a valueble fan