Emerson 24668 speed control

Malcolm MacGregor

I have worked on many Emerson fans but I have not seen this before.  This speed control operates the fan on HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW even though the cast base is labeled  Off, 3, 2, 1. So speed 3 is the high speed.  

I bought a real clunker fan, but I love the challenge and relaxing time working on it.  So it wasn’t working at all when I got it. Now it has a new head wire and rebuilt speed control. Today I hot wired the circuit and then discovered this speed control oddity. It is a phenloic base, not ceramic.  It turns clockwise and current measurements confirm the speeds. 

I have heard the 24xxx series was an odd series in the Emerson world. Thank you!

IMG_8422.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8508.jpeg

Do you have the precious 16" 6 wing cast hub blade that makes this fan stand out from the crowd? The first is the 16" big motor residence 1320 stationary 03-05 with shallow pitch cast hub blade. The next Emerson 16" desk and bracket residence (6 pole) oscillating Emerson model was the 24668 17-18 with cast blade hub and ratchet case (ball detent).  Last was the later 20s introduction 73668 big motor 6 pole 16' with stamped blade hub. 

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

Do you have the precious 16" 6 wing cast hub blade that makes this fan stand out from the crowd?

There would only be one 16" cast blade hub like it 1917-18.  Why? because it would have the earlier patent blade wings on a cast hub and the slotted insert in the blade hub for the worm driven blade shaft drive. 

• Like 1

My 24668 is low, med, high with 1 being high. I agree with Russ, your switch has been modified.

2 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

My 24668 is low, med, high with 1 being high. I agree with Russ, your switch has been modified.

And your switch body itself is later design. Run the fan with the switch outside the base with jumpers to the head cord. Check the coil after running it for roughly 1/2 hour to one hour. If it gets toasty not good. If not, oh well, enjoy it. 🙂

Does your motor tag sport wattage? If not, my bet, is a 12" 24646 switch/coil may do the trick. The 6 pole Emerson big motors don't pull high wattage. 

Edited by Russ Huber

I am not surprised that this may be the wrong speed control.  I like the idea of running the motor for 45 minutes or so and check the speed coil for overheating.  I will try to get that much done later today. 

The blade is a cast 6 wing assembly with no groove in the nose for the drive shaft to engage. I have never considered using this blade or hub as it has been welded on one spoke. It is awful shape and have discussed buying a replica blade from Jerry Brevi .  The motor tag does not have wattage on it. 

As I first stated I bought a clunker, but it is fun to work on👍

IMG_8518.jpeg

IMG_8517.jpeg

IMG_8515.jpeg

IMG_8514.jpeg

Nice find Malcolm.  Unless Jerry has a new piece of equipment, he cannot make a six wing 16” hub.  He can make a 16” four wing, but something about his jaws that won’t fit around the six wing.  After a few years of looking I actually purchased a 24668 just to rob the cast hub blade to put on my 1320. Best of luck   👍 

That is a shame with that blade. I found a nice one in a shop in Oskaloosa Iowa years back. I left it there and posted where it was on the forum. Wasn't there long after that. 🙂

Okay I ran the motor on all 3 speeds and the speed coil started off at 80 degrees and climbed to 95 degrees so it isn’t hot to touch and doesn’t smell hot. So I’m not going to loose sleep over the speed coil.  I have purchased cast hub 4 wing from Jerry B. before. He had some cast hubs made at a foundry in Pa.  I will find out if he has a 6 wing cast hub in inventory. I may have to settle for a stamped version.