Switch Identification

Bryan Eshenbaugh

The switch shown came out of an Emerson, 21648, cast hub, long tag, fan. I have a 19645 & 19648 that has the black ceramic switch with taps running under the laminates. Was wondering if this white switch with taps running over the laminates was an earlier Emerson switch? Yes, it is toasty! Thanks for sharing your knowledge & experience.IMG_8266.thumb.jpeg.bbbb5bd01f2d8dc891e0f29174e62e20.jpegIMG_8265.thumb.jpeg.4ce16b6f28b550f0bcdd9141931425ea.jpeg

If the 21648 you took it out of has a long motor tag with no handle it dates 1914-16. That could be the correct switch.

Being you're a member, go into the INFO section and check out your serial to others documented in chronological order in Ron Jeter's survey. It will give you some idea of the manufacture date of your example.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

If the 21648 you took it out of has a long motor tag with no handle it dates 1914-16. That could be the correct switch.

Yes. Long tag, no handle. The 19xxx fans that I own have the black ceramic switch. Thought the 21xxx would as well? The first switch of this style that have I ran across on an Emerson. Thanks Russ, I appreciate your information. 

You can do your own research if you're a member in the INFO section. Jim McLaughlin's Emerson Research has actual Emerson data type number and model dating. It is right next to Ron Jeter's Emerson survey. Only for paying members. The 19xxx types extended as late as 19 based on the type number.

Edited by Russ Huber

21 switch plates began as white and later painted black. Unsure on 21646 but the 21645 tap leads ran under laminates because the tight tolerance between top edge of laminate and inside of motor housing would squeeze and cut into wire. Running under laminate stack avoided the potential of shorting

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

You can do your own research if you're a member in the INFO section. Jim McLaughlin's Emerson Research has actual Emerson data type number and model dating. It is right next to Ron Jeter's Emerson survey. Only for paying members.

Thanks Russ. I have and do look at the research data often.  I had no reference in regard to the switch and searching the past posts is hit and Miss. However, you stated that it could be the correct switch. So, I take that as Emerson had this style on early fans. Thanks again. 👍

11 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

21 switch plates began as white and later painted black. Unsure on 21646 but the 21645 tap leads ran under laminates because the tight tolerance between top edge of laminate and inside of motor housing would squeeze and cut into wire. Running under laminate stack avoided the potential of shorting

Thanks much Chris! Very helpful and what I was looking for. 👍

Majority of Emerson are 4 plate patterns.

Flat 2 speed - Early Pie Crust style through 1510. White and glazed. Only variation is with early PI241 manual start having 3rd contact.

Footed 2 speed - 11 and 12 series. White and non glazed

Footed 3 speed like yours - 14. 16, 19, 21 series. Some slight variations in this group. White and non glazed initially then painted black. 

Later 27 and then 29 

* 9” are smaller variants. 12” and 16” use same diameter plates

* Footed have insulated phenolic switch covers.

Edited by Chris Campbell
  • Thanks 1