Keith Adkins

Hello Everyone, just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  My name is Keith and I live in Houston, Tx.   I picked up a couple of fans from an estate sale on Saturday from what had to have been from a former member of this community as there were lots and lots of old fans.   Both fans work but the larger one, has a stripped (screw and wingnut) that adjust the tilt.  Also is missing the bolt that connects the oscillator arm to the wheel.  The smaller one doesn’t seem to blow very much air and got really hot pretty quick.  I would like to learn how old these are and how to get them functioning properly.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks, KeithIMG_9421.thumb.jpeg.0b14cc20aa7d5f0b1dd59e901980dd8f.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome. Get ready for a fun ride, this hobby becomes addictive, quickly. 

Those are nice Dayton fans. I’d say late teens on the 16” model. Small model looks to be an early-to-mid 1920’s universal type AC/DC motor (I believe I see brushes in the back).

Lots of members here from Texas to help you learn about these. They may require going through before being put into regular service again. Some fan motors do run uncomfortably hot by their design but fortunately, not many.

Evan, Thanks so much for the info.  You’re right about the addiction.   I bought these fans last Saturday, became a member on Sunday, and went a little crazy on Tuesday after seeing how many people collected and restored these things and how old they were.  I returned to the estate sale and saved a “few” that were headed to the scrap yard.  The person that collected these had to have been a member.  Best I can tell his last name was Wells, living in Crosby, Tx.   Paul, when is the meetup in Houston?  

• Like 1

Well Keith, first of all welcome to the association! Second of all, glad you got those. They belong to my long time acquaintance Donnie Wells. Donnie lives across the lake from me & always came to my meets until his health got bad. So happy to see they went to someone who will appreciate them. 

Stan, we might need to meetup, you seem like the right person to help me identify and decide what to do with the “few” that I went back for and saved from being loaded on the scrap trailer.  You make it near downtown Houston very often. 

I work at First Methodist downtown, Main at Clay & Travis 😀

Welcome Keith hope to see you at Stan's Lake Houston Meet .