The "Pillsbury"

Jim Kovar

Nice! This should be posted in the Ceiling Fans forum.

Pillsbury started at the H. E. Lindsey Electrical Supply Company in 02 and worked at turning it into a manufacturing facility. The first Pillsbury AC CF it appears was brought to market through that St. Louis facility in 03 more than likely in small numbers. By 04 it was renamed the Century Electric Co. So, if you have a Pillsbury AC CF with H. E. Lindsey company on the tag, you are fortunate. 

• Like 1

The earliest was the two blade, ornate body and oil cup. Only on me known to exist. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Pillsbury started at the H. E. Lindsey Electrical Supply Company in 02 and worked at turning it into a manufacturing facility. The first Pillsbury AC CF it appears was brought to market through that St. Louis facility in 03 more than likely in small numbers. By 04 it was renamed the Century Electric Co. So, if you have a Pillsbury AC CF with H. E. Lindsey company on the tag, you are fortunate. 

I’ve seen one Lindsey, that’s it. That unique cast vine motif graced only those and the very first Pillsburys before it changed. 

That example belonged to Chuck Abernathy for years. He gussied it with an incorrect Dayton reproduction electrolier ball which l (personally) would remove.

I think it’s interesting that the canopy on the catalog woodcut looks just like an Emerson.

I have an early two blade Hunter here that has an original pressed brass canopy that sports exactly the same ornamental pattern in it as all of R&M’s cast iron canopies from the same period. Handshake agreements? Some supplier was happy.  

Edited by Evan Atkinson

Company INCORPORATED - As a Missouri corporation on February 19, 1901. Originally incorporated as H. E. Lindsey Electrical Supply Co. Changed to Century Electric Co.  November 9, 1903

If you have a Lindsey made Pillsbury ceiling fan, with little doubt it was put together like a Mercedes done by a small labor crew. Pillsbury came over to H. E. Lindsey from Wagner and late 03 convinced R. J. Russell to leave Wagner and join him as sales manager. By the end of 03 it became the Century Electric Company.

content (1).v1 (37).jpg

content.v1 (64).jpg

content (2).v1 (44).jpg

Edited by Russ Huber