It’s April….and it’s Snowing

Marc Sova

Finally got a little time to investigate the snowflake I got in the epic haul some months ago.

There’s no switch. It’s missing the front part of cage, of course. It’s wired direct to ac cord. I haven’t serviced it or anything. I’m a little leery of delving into this gearbox. It wouldn’t start on its own, but I could tell it was trying. After throwing some oil in the oil holes, though I finally got to got it to start on its own at 110 v  

If anyone has any pictures or can tag me in an old post, showing the gearbox taken apart or anything like that I’d appreciate it. (not much luck searching here these days). Not really looking to delve into this too much until I get more experience and do more research. Thanks.

Very interesting fan.Lets see some more pics!

It didn’t show as a video at first.I looked again and it loaded.Nice!

Edited by Paul Carmody

It always amazes me how beat up and destroyed an antique fan can look, but still turn on and run like new.

10 hours ago, Daniel Herczeg said:

It always amazes me how beat up and destroyed an antique fan can look, but still turn on and run like new.

I know right? Check out this 77646AN I delved into last night! Blade was completely locked up....this is what I found. Not sure what they used....maybe spray lithium grease???

Same. Reminds me of the Montgomery Ward I got a while ago. The innards were full of dust, and a cobweb, and the axle was covered in hair. I did my best to clean it up before turning it on without doing anything too extensive, as I was wanting to test the fan as soon as I could, and sure enough, despite the bearings being close to locked, the fan started up with no assistance and ran surprisingly well for it's size and condition. Now, it's only issue is that it is missing a switch that is not a standard size. There's a hole and everything, but when I got it the two wires for the switch were just connected by an electrical cap. Between the hair, dust, and lack of a switch, I would say it was one of many working in some barber shop or salon that was controlled by a power strip or switched outlet.

On 4/21/2024 at 10:59 AM, Daniel Herczeg said:

Same. Reminds me of the Montgomery Ward I got a while ago. The innards were full of dust, and a cobweb, and the axle was covered in hair. I did my best to clean it up before turning it on without doing anything too extensive, as I was wanting to test the fan as soon as I could, and sure enough, despite the bearings being close to locked, the fan started up with no assistance and ran surprisingly well for it's size and condition. Now, it's only issue is that it is missing a switch that is not a standard size. There's a hole and everything, but when I got it the two wires for the switch were just connected by an electrical cap. Between the hair, dust, and lack of a switch, I would say it was one of many working in some barber shop or salon that was controlled by a power strip or switched outlet.

Hah. Check out this 77648AN I tore into this past weekend. Blade was literally locked up. I managed to turn it an inch or two with all my might. I shouldn’t have…because it was so locked up that when I finally got it apart I discovered that the bearing shaft (Emerson single bearing) had twisted about 120 degrees because the rotor was so locked onto the shaft!!!! I think someone shot spray lithium grease in there and the gearbox. I haven’t tore into the gearbox yet. But, I managed to get it all cleaned up and the motor back together and running smooth as silk! (Third pic shows how the oil hole that’s supposed to be on top. Is it about the 7 o’clock position?)

IMG_1083.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

IMG_1095.jpeg

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

IMG_1095.thumb.jpeg.be12ecd9600b602d1c200522476ec178.jpeg

US1767153-drawings-page-1.png

I don't know what that goo is that was built up in the blade hub, but the spring in the bearing shaft augers lubricant within the shaft. 

Emer_Design.jpg

EmersonElectricFansFor1946-p6.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

On 4/22/2024 at 7:03 PM, Russ Huber said:

I don't know what that goo is that was built up in the blade hub, but the spring in the bearing shaft augers lubricant within the shaft. 

Emer_Design.jpg

EmersonElectricFansFor1946-p6.jpg

Yeah, I got it all sorted out. Note in my picture that the oil holes in the shaft are cocked about 120°. That probably happened when I tried forcefully turning the blade when it was locked up. I had no idea that it was locked up that’s so hard and that it would have such a death grip on that shaft that it would turn it. Anyway, I got it all straightened out using, a hex key chronicle. Yeah I think this is all spray lithium grease