Taking the Blah Out Of A 06 16" Cake

Russ Huber

Needs buffing polish and getting the rest out of the box and assembled. A very special thanks to Kim Frank and his cake passion and earned hands on bearing skills, and just being a fine human being.  

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_4338.thumb.JPG.1856d4b314420f3fa416d642f8c257cd.jpg.cd3a5f86ad2483adb168a186555d04fb.jpg

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks, guys. It's powder coat. I will have to go over it with 3M Finesse part # 39003 buffing polish for finish swirls and light scratches. It was recommended to me by a higher end Powder coat shop in my area. It will buff out swirls and minor scratches and leave a high luster. The downside is roughly $40 a pint, and you'll more than likely have to order it online. I had some bearing fitting issues and Kim selflessly stuck with me to help me get it right, so I had my grubs all over the finished housing a number of times. The rotor was wire wheeled to bare metal and has copper enamel on the ends and the rest gun cold blued. The final touch was sealing it all up masking off the shaft and spraying it down with clear stator winding insulating varnish.

A fan restoration wouldn't be any fun unless you ran into 20 to 30 roadblocks getting it right. 🙂 Now all I have to do is finish slapping the rest together. Probably be back on the post next spring. 🙂

unnamed.png

Edited by Russ Huber