Newest additions to the Antique Fan Collectors Museum

Kim Frank

We will be celebrating our 15th anniversary of hosting the AFC Museum at Fanimation this Summer. We continue to add to the impressive collections of fans on display, fast approaching 2250 fans. All of the fans belong to members of the AFCA, which are put on loan for visitors to enjoy. We have added two items to the downstairs museum, both of which are rare and /or unusual. The first is a huge Chicago Water Motor. This thing has been laying around for several years, awaiting its turn to be readied for display. It was completely disassembled, sandblasted, painted or cleared, stencilled, and mounted to a stand. It will be lighted inside so the waterwheel is more visible. This thing is massive.

The second addition is a Peerless Bipolar 16 inch fan. It's owner brought it to the Museum from out of state. He wanted to get it running, which we did, and then decided it should be displayed. We'll be doing some light cleaning on it, adding a cord and rectifier to the switch, and once determining the correct style of cage, building one for it. There was a lot of buzz about this fan a while back, as some of you may remember. Come and see it in person this summer, it'll definitely be worth the trip.

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2415 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2416 - Copy.JPG

• Like 3

Those Peerless bi-polar motors sure look very, very similar to the Western Electric bi-polars.  Was there a relationship between the companies at that point?

2 hours ago, Paul Carmody said:

Someone would have a large water bill running a water motor all day?

Things like this are part of the reason they started charging for water use and led to the installation of meters. Haven’t opened Russ’s link but I’m sure that’s what it shows. 

I hope someone can image for me the Specialty Water Fans display, too many things on my plate this year