Emerson 19666 loose wire

Todd Adornato

13 minutes ago, Todd Adornato said:

Russ, thanks for the info.  Do you know who on the forum does rewinds of these speed coils?

Try Rick Huckabee. 

5 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

Try Rick Huckabee. 

Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Todd Adornato said:

Russ, thanks for the info.  Do you know who on the forum does rewinds of these speed coils?

Reach out to Mark Olson

• Like 1

Todd have you ra this fan with a kilowatt or other measuring device connected? the emerson fans will run the correct way in 2 of the 6 combo's one way is wrong & causes heat & too much  amp draw.  your fan should run under 1 amp on high speed at line voltage. for a guideline , I would test this before sending off the speed coil.

28 minutes ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Todd have you ra this fan with a kilowatt or other measuring device connected? the emerson fans will run the correct way in 2 of the 6 combo's one way is wrong & causes heat & too much  amp draw.  your fan should run under 1 amp on high speed at line voltage. for a guideline , I would test this before sending off the speed coil.

Lawrence, thanks for the tip!  I unearthed the Kilawatt device I had, and plugged the fan into that.  On all three speeds, it’s drawing approximately 1.65 amps; isn’t the amp draw supposed to be different on each speed?   I copied the wiring layout the way it was before I messed with the wires.

Have you checked all connections at the coil? I imagine if there's a bad solder connection, it could be causing extra resistance??

You need to trace your wiring, that’s too high amp draw . 

I pulled the switch out of a running 29646 and wired it up to the 19666, and let it run on Hi for about half an hour so far.  The steel plates around the coil are lukewarm to the touch, and the Killawatt amp readout on Low is 1.10, on Med is 1.17, and on Hi is 1.48.  Will the readouts normally be higher using the 29646 switch as opposed to the 19666 switch?   The cycles rating shown on the 19666’s motor tag is 58, and it’s 60 on the 29646. 

14 minutes ago, Lawrence Smith said:

You need to trace your wiring, that’s too high amp draw . 

The red coating on the top of the coil made a mess and is sunken into the wiring, so it’s going to be tough to trace the wiring without removing the stuff.  It also stinks when current is passed through the switch, so at this point I’m leaning toward sending the switch out for a rebuild. 

All the advice given so far is much appreciated!

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Todd Adornato said:

I pulled the switch out of a running 29646 and wired it up to the 19666, and let it run on Hi for about half an hour so far.  The steel plates around the coil are lukewarm

When you run the fan on high you're bypassing the coil's purpose to slow the fan. High speed is full wall current. Test the coil on low speed up to 1/2 hour checking the coil/laminations for overheating frequently. 

Edited by Russ Huber

51 minutes ago, Todd Adornato said:

I pulled the switch out of a running 29646 and wired it up to the 19666, and let it run on Hi for about half an hour so far.  The steel plates around the coil are lukewarm to the touch. The cycles rating shown on the 19666’s motor tag is 58, and it’s 60 on the 29646. 

Check your 19666 tag again to see if the number 58 is stamped for WATTS, not cycles. Your 29646 motor tag will not sport a wattage stamping. Below is my quote made on the first page of this post.

I was in my stash today and peeked at a 21666 and 19666 12" 6-pole BIG motor types. Both had 65 Watts stamped in the motor tag. I then checked two 12" 4-pole small motor 24646 models that had wattage stampings in the tags. One was 60 watts and the other 64 watts. There you go. It would be logical the 21646, 27646, 29646, 73646, etc. 12" small motor 4 pole type numbers either oscillating or stationary types would be operating at similar wattage as the 24646 models. ~ Russ Huber

My bad, the 19666’s tag does state “Watts.”  

I let the fan run for a half hour on low using the 29646 switch, and the plates got hot to the touch, though I could still keep my fingers in them.  The coil was a bit cooler, though the black insulation was starting to come off on my fingers.  Probably not the way I want to go with this fan 😉

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Todd Adornato said:

My bad, the 19666’s tag does state “Watts.”  

I let the fan run for a half hour on low using the 29646 switch, and the plates got hot to the touch, though I could still keep my fingers in them.  The coil was a bit cooler, though the black insulation was starting to come off on my fingers.  Probably not the way I want to go with this fan 😉

The coil is going to get warm running on low speed with a rewind or a 29646-cheater coil. My advice to you before you get a rewind is think about becoming a member, I have seen you post more than once. Number two, as a member you can meet up with another member in your area that may have more experience to help check your fan out thoroughly.

It would be a bummer to have a coil rewind and have the same problem. Good luck.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Russ, I have been an AFCA member for several years, but I forgot to renew this year.  Just did so a few minutes ago, and thanks for the reminder 😁

1 hour ago, Todd Adornato said:

Russ, I have been an AFCA member for several years, but I forgot to renew this year.  Just did so a few minutes ago, and thanks for the reminder 😁

That's a good thing. 🙂  If your stator ohm readings are healthy, the coil is probably the culprit. 

45 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

That's a good thing. 🙂  If your stator ohm readings are healthy, the coil is probably the culprit. 

I mentioned the readings earlier in this thread:   148, 137, and 11 ohms.  I thought the middle reading was too far from the halfway point between the other two, but I’m assured the readings are perfect. 

12 minutes ago, Todd Adornato said:

I mentioned the readings earlier in this thread:   148, 137, and 11 ohms.  I thought the middle reading was too far from the halfway point between the other two, but I’m assured the readings are perfect. 

The 2 lowest readings added together equal the highest reading. 

11+137=148

2 hours ago, Patrick Ray said:

The 2 lowest readings added together equal the highest reading. 

11+137=148

Well, learn something new every day!  I had envisioned “hi medium low” to have ohm readings more or less equidistant from the center. 

1 minute ago, Todd Adornato said:

Well, learn something new every day!  I had envisioned “hi medium low” to have ohm readings more or less equidistant from the center. 

When measuring the head wires of the stator, you aren't measuring speeds. The wires are for the start winding, run winding, and a common. 

• Thanks 1