Emerson 79648-SD project

Alvin Chan

I have an Emerson 79648-SD fan that runs fine but is missing the oscillator wheel, and very greasy, so I will be doing some work on it. Right now I am looking for the correct grommets. Looks to be 3, two on the base and one on the bullet.  Does anyone know what is the original? screw one? or just a generic rubber gromment?

Also, what about wiring? Head isnt it bad shape. Looks original. Red and black wire with clock sheath, and ten black cloth sheath over it.  The wall outlet cord has been replaced, but I plan to get the authentic looking replacement. I see many on eBay. Any reason they are not good enough for wall outlet? Looks like the headwire is more important because of oscillation. Whats the word on that? Did a quick search and looks like Tony's is the go to? What are the options out there?

Thanks

That is a very late Emerson fan, cord was rubber or plastic, not cloth, so a modern cord is correct. As far as the grommets, is the base threaded for them? If not, regular grommets from any hardware are fine. There as no gasket between the gearbox & motor.

Was cleaning the gearbox out. One washer is out of place. I didn't take the gears out when I found this. Was there 2 washer on the worm gear shaft, that goes to the gearbox case? 

Also, non under the red gear, on the metal gear side? Pic with arrow pointing with ?.  I have one under the yellow gear, and on the exiting shaft for the oscillator that is not pictured.

20230627_011411.thumb.jpg.01919295929e5371cc32142f2cb0019d.jpg20230627_012457.thumb.jpg.6f395c048868b800e10030dffa59c063.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, anyplace metal touches metal there is a fiber washer. The arrow usually has a very small one that fits the bottom of that gear 

Thanks. 

What about the grommets? Anyone have the size, or an amazon/ebay item for these? I measured one I currently have, but feel like there is some room for +/- on certain dimensions, which will give more option when purchasing online

Measured:

Emerson grommet size
id=3/8
od=3/4
Thickness= 3/4
Panel thickness(gw) 4/5mm = (4mm= 5/32 or 1/8) 5mm=3/16
Panel hole diameter 1/2

Is there one for the head size, the oval section, shown in pic?20230627_033615.thumb.jpg.ed4563c73bb46a9ee603f1a4602e6f45.jpg