Emerson CF14 restoration

Chris Jacobsen

Special thanks to a generous AFCA member, I obtained three early ceiling fans!  I Plan to fully redo these with as much care as possible.  I have two CF14s now, one appears to be solid cast iron and the other one brass.

- Does anyone know if the brass CF14 one is brass plated?

- does anyone know the switch brand?

- any tips on stripping the silvery paint from the brass fan?  Is that lead?

- any special insulation dope that anyone can recommend?  Also insulation paper?  I plan to remove the coils and replace it all.

20230627_103059.jpg

20230617_153642.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, sorry I didn't reply to your last PM. I've been busier than I realized! Cool, cool CF-14's. Produced 1902, only!

For these fans, the top and bottom plates, rotor and main body as well as the bearing cup are all cast iron. So are the blade brackets. The intricate vine 'cup' that screws onto the end of the central shaft and covers the lower bearing cup is cast and soldered brass, likely annealed into shape before soldering. They are delicate. The disc-style porcelain switches on the end of the cup are Emerson switches and yours look broken? Not sure if anyone has reproduced these recently, but efforts were made in the past as they are frequently found broken and do break (they're in a vulnerable spot on the fan) if it is removed from a hanging location. In the past, John Andrews of Texas Ceiling Fans reproduced the T-handle key that operates this switch but not sure about now. He also reproduced the spun, brass cover that is dome-like and covers that switch.

Good luck, these are satisfying fans to fix. They look $$ when restored.

Thanks Evan for the background!  I kinda figured you had other obligations so it is all good.  I was wondering how they made the fern leaf cups earlier, they seem to have been brazed together after folding it seems.  I was thinking of attempting to cast a couple new branches as replacents I will bet cost a fortune.  They are really neat little primitive ceiling fans, and been good fun so far.  Just need some guidance on the gunk and paint stripping without killing the original finish.

• Like 1

Actually I wonder if John Andrews is still around, I definitely need the covers and T handles.  Switches are indeed munched, I am gathering a number of antique wall switches to see what I might swap parts with or fabricate to replace them.  I just got in a cheap GE fan too, just like Levis, only a bit more complete.  As you said the switches are in a tough spot...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Hoatson said:

I have a CAD file of the CF series spun switch covers If anyone wants to have some made. 

I would like to try printing them if you would not mind sharing.  I have no idea what they are shaped like for me to accurately model them.