The Great CF-28

Jack Minor

Soooo in love with this ceiling fan. Had a lotta help with it. Frank McCormack helped me pick it up from the Hoehn’s, John Andrews did the mechanical/electrical/lacquer work, and Betty Brady did the copper plating job. 

51941825-6711-4912-BE28-12A468800A71.jpeg

0F92DE0F-D461-411A-AF03-85A7AC24C87C.jpeg

888DCF84-219A-44B7-80A2-7780F29F11B5.jpeg

910C7964-7D8F-4838-B44C-D891FF947422.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice!  What was done to the electrical?  Were the coils redone?  Also would be curious to the copper plater, I have a couple fans that need replating.

Thanks,

Chris

17 hours ago, Chris Jacobsen said:

Nice!  What was done to the electrical?  Were the coils redone?  Also would be curious to the copper plater, I have a couple fans that need replating.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Full rewire job but thankfully the windings themselves were in good condition. The plater is a lamp shop here in Austin. Not sure if you can ship stuff but it’s worth calling to ask. Google “Brady’s Distinctive Lighting”. Old school shop! I think she opened in 1967. Hope this info helps. 

Jack

10 minutes ago, Jack Minor said:

Hi Chris,

Full rewire job but thankfully the windings themselves were in good condition. The plater is a lamp shop here in Austin. Not sure if you can ship stuff but it’s worth calling to ask. Google “Brady’s Distinctive Lighting”. Old school shop! I think she opened in 1967. Hope this info helps. 

Jack

Thank you Jack, I will see if I can contact her.  About how muvh did it cost?  Did she also do any black oxide work?

On the coils. Was any insulating gel soaked into them?  Just wondering because someone is selling them as "restored" and it looks like some orange stuff was soaked into the origonal coils.  I am investigating what this might be and if it is beneficial.

Thanks,

Chris

Look really lovely! Very nice. How quietly does it run? Mine has a real vibrational cadence, kinda a "whomp whomp" sound the rotor makes while running. Think many of them suffered from this but doesn't affect how lovely they look.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 2:10 PM, Evan Atkinson said:

Look really lovely! Very nice. How quietly does it run? Mine has a real vibrational cadence, kinda a "whomp whomp" sound the rotor makes while running. Think many of them suffered from this but doesn't affect how lovely they look.

My GE AH-52 Ceiling fan has the same issue you describe your fan having and I'm not sure if its an issue that can be fixed or if its something I have to live with because this is my first antique ceiling fan and I've never actually worked on or had the experience of using an antique ceiling fan before so I'm not sure if the "whomp-whomp" noise you describe is par for the course for some of these antique ceiling fans or if its something that can be made to go away, but also my fan isn't fully mounted to the ceiling either its currently being hung from a 100+ year old 2 X 6 Beam that I found in my basement that I'm using to test the fan to make sure everything is working on it correctly as it should.  

On 7/27/2023 at 6:02 AM, Mel Lagarde said:

Jack

This is a gorgeous and well restored 28.   What a beauty and so well done.   Thank you for posting.   

Thanks Mel, very kind words and truly appreciated! 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:10 PM, Evan Atkinson said:

A little noisy but not too terrible. I don’t run it at ton. 

• 1 month later...

The “Womp-Womp” noise is usually due to the rotor’s squirrel cage bars becoming unsoldered from the copper end plates. The CF-series fans don’t use end plates and round bars, but instead have flat bars whose ends are bent over 90-degrees and soldered to the top of the adjacent bar. When these solder connections fail, a gap opens up and electrical connection is lost. 

To repair, I beadblast the rotor to get the copper clean and shiny, especially in any gaps. Then, apply flux to the joint, heat with a propane torch, and flow new solder Into the gap. 

When done, use a motorcycle wheel balance rig and more solder to balance the rotor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1