'50s Emerson 77646su motor vibration

Gary Walker

Hello, I have been hanging around this website for a while and getting very good reliable answers. However, this time I need an opinion/help. I have a late 50s 77646-SU with a substantial motor vibration. This fan was/is great physical appearance until you get inside. Fiber washers were broken/missing, grease in the gearbox was candle wax, and I believe the only oil it ever had in it was from the factory or maybe 1960! I inspected the bore of the Armature/rotor and thought it was okay. I have no idea how many fiber/steel washers I need and their arrangement along with the end play of the armature/rotor. The vibration is not the fan blade as it is in excellent shape and all blades are true. Any help, ideas and opinions would be much appreciated!

Thank you, Gary Walker 

22 hours ago, Gary Walker said:

Hello, I have been hanging around this website for a while and getting very good reliable answers. However, this time I need an opinion/help. I have a late 50s 77646-SU with a substantial motor vibration. This fan was/is great physical appearance until you get inside. Fiber washers were broken/missing, grease in the gearbox was candle wax, and I believe the only oil it ever had in it was from the factory or maybe 1960! I inspected the bore of the Armature/rotor and thought it was okay. I have no idea how many fiber/steel washers I need and their arrangement along with the end play of the armature/rotor. The vibration is not the fan blade as it is in excellent shape and all blades are true. Any help, ideas and opinions would be much appreciated!

Thank you, Gary Walker 

For fiber washers Try 2 on each end 

leave the cover /blade off . apply power to the motor- shim the rotor to where it self centers upon start up. not sure what to do if you have vibration at the rotor, it could be possible a wooden dowel that shaped the stator has fallen out, more likely the bearing surfaces have worn due to the  severe lack of oil.

17 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

leave the cover /blade off . apply power to the motor- shim the rotor to where it self centers upon start up. not sure what to do if you have vibration at the rotor, it could be possible a wooden dowel that shaped the stator has fallen out, more likely the bearing surfaces have worn due to the  severe lack of oil.

I guess the wooden dowel has me confused?

20230710_102906.jpg

20230705_102650.jpg

20230705_092428.jpg

20230705_092222.jpg

20230705_092141.jpg

One issue these fans had was the hub/spider mounting. If the noise is more like a rattle & coming from the blade motor, it is probably the crimp for the hub/spider loose.

if you remove the blade how does the motor run?  without severe damage the suspect is usually the blade  either having lost a balancing weight or it is not attached to the shaft tightly................there is a special method by which a blade is removed from this type of fan. i never take them off so i cant help there 

17 hours ago, Tom Zapf said:

if you remove the blade how does the motor run?  without severe damage the suspect is usually the blade  either having lost a balancing weight or it is not attached to the shaft tightly................there is a special method by which a blade is removed from this type of fan. i never take them off so i cant help there 

Well,the blade was/is in great condition. No bends,dents etc.  It even lays true on table top. As far as without the blade, you can hear/feel the vibration ever so slightly. Install the blade for the full effect! Thanks

21 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

One issue these fans had was the hub/spider mounting. If the noise is more like a rattle & coming from the blade motor, it is probably the crimp for the hub/spider loose.

Are you talking about the "spindle/shaft the armature/rotor spins on? Thanks! 

No, the actual blade assembly. The blade hub (part that screws onto the rotor) & the blade spider are two different parts & are pressed together by rolling the blade hub steel against the spider. For some reason, especially on the later 77 series, these were notorious for getting loose.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 6:09 AM, Stan Adams said:

No, the actual blade assembly. The blade hub (part that screws onto the rotor) & the blade spider are two different parts & are pressed together by rolling the blade hub steel against the spider. For some reason, especially on the later 77 series, these were notorious for getting loose.

Ah OK,I'll definitely check that out and let you know (On vacation now) when I get home!  Thank you 

On 7/11/2023 at 9:57 AM, Arjun Saini said:

For fiber washers Try 2 on each end 

I think that's what I have done currently but will check. Thanks 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:20 AM, Tom Zapf said:

I'm gonna try/check where the spider attaches to the hub/shaft. I appreciate it!