R&M bracket identification

Mel Lagarde

Gentlemen

I cannot figure this out and I combed the old forum site looking for an answer.   I have an RM “A” and an RM “B” that I am restoring.  I have these brackets listed below.  The brackets with the “A” go with the A fan but which brackets go with the “B”?   One set has the “H” inscribed on the bracket but I know of no “H” R&M?

Any assistance would be helpful.  Putting a lot of time into these restorations and want to get this right.  

Thank you,

Mel

image000000.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

I think, that R&M made different brackets for each of their letter models. So the A-H brackets would be furnished with the A-H fans. However a longtime collector said every A-G fans he’d seen came with A brackets. Until now I had never seen the B brackets. The brackets are all identical except for the monograms. The H models were produced a long time.

• Thanks 1

I have several Type H fans. It's a plan wide motor with a dropped "flywheel" type assembly ala adaptair. I think they are what eventually evolved into the sawtooth model.

• Thanks 1

Style A fans came with four, possibly five different bracket types over their production run. The first models were advertised with that small "dog's paw" (as Chuck Abernathy likes to call it) bracket. I'm talking about the re-cast brass versions you posted. These irons (they were iron, never brass) usually appeared with that serpentine pattern cast directly above the bracket post. But they were also produced with a stylized letter "A" in that space, which is found a lot less commonly (photo embedded). So, either of those two types are "correct." Slightly later in the production run, that larger, ornate, fleur-de-lis shaped serpentine bracket appeared. It was also produced with a stylized "A" at the central intersect point, or nothing at all. That's the typical four types of brackets for Style A fans. The fifth style bracket was a different pattern that Chuck A. dubbed the "rugbeater" bracket (he came up with some apt nicknames for these!) Embedded is a photo showing this iron. I've not decided whether the company officially paired these with Style A fans (I've seen no catalog images actually showing it), but I've run into one example with them and they go nicely. You've got some choices you can make.

The Style B fan was paired with those dog's paw brackets with the serpentine pattern only without a letter, and I've never seen one with a stylized letter B. Nothing else paired with this fan. R&M produced the Style B nearly concurrently with the Style A, but the B had a much longer production run than the A and this small bracket got used on other R&M models, like the E, F, G, H. By the time the G and the H were produced, the bracket changed design slightly with relief in clearer detail and taller dimensions. 

5B97FDE0-EA5B-466B-9BFD-F67DD81153D6_1_105_c.jpeg

DF81E7F2-A908-4225-93BA-ADDF2DFC33C7_1_105_c.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Thank you gentlemen for the wonderful responses and the time you took sending this to me.  The yellowish gold brackets I posted are cast iron, they are painted a gold color that has been removed.  I will use these on the “B” model restoration.  

Hugely helpful and thank you.

Mel