Mobilaire 16MA 3

Steve Hankes

On 4/11/2024 at 7:54 PM, Chris Wimberly said:

Steve, do you have a link to the resistor?

Do you think a 50W 25ohm resistor will work?

Thanks!

Chris,  Here is the link to the resistor that I installed.  If I recall I had to perform some localized modifications to the leads posts and the mounting holes to package it in the original mount on the motor strut.

Amazon.com: uxcell 2Pcs Aluminum Case Resistor 100W 25 Ohm Wirewound Yellow for LED Replacement Converter 100W 25RJ : Industrial & Scientific

On 4/12/2024 at 10:02 PM, Chris Wimberly said:

Another question... my Mobilair is missing the pipe(?) That goes between the two wheels.

What is this pipe made of? Is it metallic? Plastic?

The connection between the wheels is a  ~0.5" OD steel rod which inserts into the L/R leg tubes and is covered by a rubber tube with axial convolutes / ribbing.  Given the material I felt fortunate that the axle cover on my fan was as salvageable as it turned out to be. 

On 4/12/2024 at 9:31 AM, Larry Hancock said:

Beautiful sir!  You have a talent. 

Thank you Larry!  It is an honor to be able to "save" some of these cool / beautiful designs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve Hankes said:

The connection between the wheels is a  ~0.5" OD steel rod which inserts into the L/R leg tubes and is covered by a rubber tube with axial convolutes / ribbing.  Given the material I felt fortunate that the axle cover on my fan was as salvageable as it turned out to be. 

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to have a close up picture of that rubber tube? I think I may just go with PVC, The o/d of the leg tubes is 3/4", and some PVC I found has an i/d of slightly more than 3/4", so it looks like it will work. 

Can you also tell me the length of that rubber tube?

Finally, what did you to do restore the cages? Was the chrome on your fan in good shape?

I apologize for all the questions, but your information is invaluable! Especially since the old AFCA forum is gone!

On 4/18/2024 at 10:04 AM, Chris Wimberly said:

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to have a close up picture of that rubber tube? I think I may just go with PVC, The o/d of the leg tubes is 3/4", and some PVC I found has an i/d of slightly more than 3/4", so it looks like it will work. 

Can you also tell me the length of that rubber tube?

Finally, what did you to do restore the cages? Was the chrome on your fan in good shape?

I apologize for all the questions, but your information is invaluable! Especially since the old AFCA forum is gone!

Hello Chris.  No worries about the questions... keep them coming, it's good incentive for me to keep up with the forum better than I typically do and if my experience with the Mobilaire can be of any help to someone else all the better.

Wheel Asm:  I have attached a before and after of the axle tube on the Mobilaire.  The "groovy" original is 8.75" in length. 

Cage cleaning / chrome:  There was not really any salvageable chrome on my fan.  I spent a fair amount of time removing rust and then wheeling / brushing / buffing to get the (supposed to be) shiny parts to a point that would no longer induce vomiting.

My "go to" for surface rust is a 2" or 3" wire cup brush (FINE) in the drill press. The fine wire brush is very forgiving. The larger cages can be a challenge geometrically depending on the size of the drill press.  Tilting the item being brushed to reach the inner portion may work or moving the brush to a cordless drill may be a solution for those harder to reach spots. In the case of no drill press the handheld solution can be the primary.  Beyond that a fistful of "0000" steel wool (and cramped fingers and hands) can do wonders for some additional / final brightening.

Good luck!  I look forward to hearing of your progress.

IMG_8604.jpg

IMG_9696.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve! I'll be able to cut that tube that 8-3/4" length without having to assemble it all together to measure it... only to take it all apart again! You've definitely saved me some time!

I just finished painting the major parts of the fan. If the weather is cooperative tomorrow, I'll be doing some clearcoat next!

I went with "Duke Gray".

20240425_181313.jpg