Seek info on 50s Vornado Pedestal fan

Chris Jacobsen

This is being offered for free on our local facebook, does anyone know if it is a frankenstein?  Anyone know the model number perhaps?  Has a rotary switch on the back.

20230728_114920.jpg

Vornado made pedestal fans.   If its free and near you I would have already had it back home by now.   Actually my post would have said  "look what I picked up for free"!

Edited by Anthony Lindsey

5 hours ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

Vornado made pedestal fans.   If its free and near you I would have already had it back home by now.   Actually my post would have said  "look what I picked up for free"!

Yea, I did end up picking it up.  This happened to be on my way to the California Historical Radio Society where I had bought a few more radios.  Owner said do not plug it in, motor is bad so yea guess a rewind or cannibalization is soon to come.  I have a cheap Hampton Bay pedestal which is a turd so hope this will turn out to be amazing.  Turns out it is an Electrohome, guessing a rebadged  Vornado bastard child?

CHRIS THE BLADE IS DEFINITLEY NOT A VORNDAO SO YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A PARTS VORNADO ...I SAW A HEAD FOR SALE ON OUR SITE SOMETIME IN THE LAST WEEK OR SO ...THE BIG PEDESTAL WAS 16" ... THE OTHERS WERE SMALLER, THE BASE ON YOURS LOOKS LIKE THE BIG ONE. CHECK YOUR WIRING IT MIGHT NOT BE THE MOTOR ITSELF JUST THE LEADS ...THOSE VORNADO VERSIONS WERE NOTORIOUS FOR WIRING DRYING OUT TO CRUMBLES . YOUR MOTOR MIGHT STILL BE OK 

Thanks Tom, good call on the blade, it is jammed on tight, it does clear but yes it is not Vornado.  The fan is actually an Electrohome but I think that means "Canadian rebadged Vornado"?  This is a pretty huge fan, do you know how to measure the size of these?  I have another ginormous authentic Vornado fan, forgot the model/size and it sits in the attic unused with a motor issue.  

The wiring may have been replaced, looks like a newer white wire coming from the head.  There is a huge porcelain rheostat inside the back, not sure of that is original.  No power. DOA.  

As for the fan posted, I actually saw thst fan sell on ebay for about 100 incl shipping and it is now posted hwre for 300 basically untouched so I think I would focus my search on the fleabay site once I can pin down sizing.

Hmm, very curious.  Possibly original paint, possibly original sticker remains.  Giant rheostat in the back.  Electrohome fan.  30s-40s Wells Gardner/RCA radio knob.  

Pretty puzzling fan here.  Looks a lot like a Vornado but guess it is a different Monster.  

Anyone see/have a fan like this that can help piece together what is original?  Also anyone know how to pull dents from one of these?

20230731_084949.jpg

20230731_084942.jpg

20230731_084930.jpg

20230731_084917.jpg

Autopsy points to this as being a main reason for failure.  Probably a lost C clip and shims maybe a spring?  No idea how this is supposed to be assembled.

20230731_134741.jpg

hmmmmmm the tabs that hold the motor to the arms that go to the cones sure looks like vornado to me but then who know . there was early model vornado design that had the switch right on the back of the motor but not a rheostat  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. curioser and curioser 

2 hours ago, Tom Zapf said:

hmmmmmm the tabs that hold the motor to the arms that go to the cones sure looks like vornado to me but then who know . there was early model vornado design that had the switch right on the back of the motor but not a rheostat  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. curioser and curioser 

Yea the rheostat if I can prove otherwise I would prefer to ditch for a speed coil.  It looks original enough, size needed for the current anyways.  It is about 70ohms.  I am thinking if I cannot get any straight info then frankenstein it into something I will enjoy and use.

By the way, anyone know how to pull dents out of a Vornado?  Being a folded together sheetmetal I imagine it is not a friendly process...

Yes, Electrohome was a Canadian Firm that made their own stuff that was based out of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and they liked to make copycat designs of American appliance and electronic designs, specifically Vornado, Wells-Gardiner, GE, Sylvania, RCA, Zenith and many other American electronics and appliance brands, supposedly they're still in business last I heard, but that was about 10 years ago...

So your fan is most definitely NOT an original Vornado but a copycat Vornado design made by Electrohome in Canada, which I'm kind of curious about how a Canadian made fan wound up in Southern California... 🤔

Also the variable rheostat speed control on the back of the fan is how Electrohome was able to get away with making a Vornado Knockoff without having to pay royalties to Vornado for the design, because the original Vornadoes had the Speed Coil design with a 2 or 3 speed design for the larger fans and a single speed design for the smaller fans, also the cage design was slightly different on the Electrohome fans. 

Edited by Levi Mevis

16 minutes ago, Levi Mevis said:

Yes, Electrohome was a Canadian Firm that made their own stuff that was based out of Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and they liked to make copycat designs of American appliance and electronic designs, specifically Vornado, Wells-Gardiner, GE, Sylvania, RCA, Zenith and many other American electronics and appliance brands, supposedly they're still in business last I heard, but that was about 10 years ago...

So your fan is most definitely NOT an original Vornado but a copycat Vornado design made by Electrohome in Canada, which I'm kind of curious about how a Canadian made fan wound up in Southern California... 🤔

Also the variable rheostat speed control on the back of the fan is how Electrohome was able to get away with making a Vornado Knockoff without having to pay royalties to Vornado for the design, because the original Vornadoes had the Speed Coil design with a 2 or 3 speed design for the larger fans and a single speed design for the smaller fans, also the cage design was slightly different on the Electrohome fans. 

This doesn't really surprise me, it was just too weird to be a full Vornado, I have a couple original Vornados too.  I have one that will actually fit this pedestal that is pretty beat so i dont mind a frankenstein.  I am guessing thst this motor is not going to have a lot of torque either but will try it out after I clean and lube it.  The surprising thing is the housing and grille are almost identical to Vornado, I would have figured that would trigger a lawsuit in itself.  Anyways 3 strikes so far, hate the rheostat (fan actually has a warning saying keep dial left till it speeds up or it will smoke), motor seems small and blade sucks.  Will test it working before final judgement.