Jandus Ball Motor Fan with Unusual Voltage

Liem Nguyen

25 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

I actually am the new owner of the above Jandus fan Steve posted prior to this post. It was missing a switch. I have made switch plates in the past and with the help of someone was able to complete a switch. Unaware of anyone currently producing the hardware for completing additional switches. Currently do not have any plates.

May have overlooked this already answered, but regarding original question:

The fan seems complete except its speed control is missing. Can the speed control be re-produced to make the fan run at 3 speeds as it was originally designed? Also, how would you run this fan? (with a DC power supply or using a VariAC in combination with a rectifier? Thanks all for your advices.”

These motors can be wired AC or DC. My understanding is AC was 2 speed, DC was 3 speed. The 3 speed on DC would have a small choke resting on top of plate. Unmounted and often damaged. Rectifier used for DC power. 

If the two plates holding brushes are bridged it runs AC. If not bridged runs DC. These motors can be wired multiple ways and many variations to complex things. Below are pics wired 2 speed

IMG_3012.jpeg

Hi Chris, I was so happy to see your response to the post as I was searching your name on the AFCA directory...the switches you made are beautiful and I would be grateful if you could help constructing one for my fan. I think Darryl Hudson can make the hardwares if you give him the details of those parts. I took some photos of the inside of the motor. I think it's a 3 speed DC.  

IMG_6994.jpeg

IMG_6995.jpeg

IMG_6996.jpeg

IMG_6997.jpeg

Edited by Liem Nguyen

6 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

Do you have brush holders holding a carbon brush against commutator? 

Yes it has 2 brush holders holding a carbon brush against commutator.

IMG_6998.jpeg

IMG_6999.jpeg

Edited by Liem Nguyen
  • Like 1

Not only these round fans are mentioned, but the upcoming Gyro as well.....

image.jpeg.64f96b082d2deb6a5cb819cd444f0afa.jpeg

Edited by Steve Rockwell
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Rockwell said:

Not only these round fans are mentioned, but the upcoming Gyro as well.....

image.jpeg.64f96b082d2deb6a5cb819cd444f0afa.jpeg

Jandus' exciting time! 

Bernie made use of the same DC ball motor in 02. The DC wired in series and the AC wired for repulsion induction. 

Bernie not only drew a diagram of how the AC was wired, he explains it in detail in his filed in 02 AC motor patent.

If you can obtain a switch body with lever and hardware you could rig a resistance wire wind to obtain your 3 speeds for DC operation.  

Fig. 4 is AC operation, Fig. 5 DC operation seen on image below.

1499663576849192197-00728038 (storage.googleapis.com)

US728039-drawings-page-4.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Borg said:

Are you missing 1 brush?

Yes one of the carbon brushes is missing but that should be easy to find I think.

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

Bernie made use of the same DC ball motor in 02. The DC wired in series and the AC wired for repulsion induction. 

Bernie not only drew a diagram of how the AC was wired, he explains it in detail in his filed in 02 AC motor patent.

If you can obtain a switch body with lever and hardware you could rig a resistance wire wind to obtain your 3 speeds for DC operation.  

Fig. 4 is AC operation, Fig. 5 DC operation seen on image below.

1499663576849192197-00728038 (storage.googleapis.com)

US728039-drawings-page-4.png

That’s great! I am hoping Chris can help making that porcelain body and Darryl Hudson help with making the hardwares. 

21 minutes ago, Liem Nguyen said:

That’s great! I am hoping Chris can help making that porcelain body and Darryl Hudson help with making the hardwares. 

I know someone who has a spare Jandus 3 speed switch with its hardware. I talked with him about letting it go for you. He may do so for a price. He is going to think about for a few days and get back with me. At best a 50/50 shot. 

2 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I know someone who has a spare Jandus 3 speed switch with its hardware. I talked with him about letting it go for you. He may do so for a price. He is going to think about for a few days and get back with me. At best a 50/50 shot. 

Thank you so much! That would be the best option. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Campbell said:

Not sure when would make plates again. Fell certain if or when do plates again would be at least 12 months…. Sorry

Please let me know when you’re going to make them again. Thanks Chris.

On 7/30/2023 at 1:09 PM, Russ Huber said:

I am sorry Liem, I was contacted today by the owner of the spare switch, and he wants to hang on to it.  Good luck to you, and try your best to be patient, getting hard to find parts at times can be very difficult, but not impossible. 

5 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

I am sorry Liem, I was contacted today by the owner of the spare switch, and he wants to hang on to it.  Good luck to you, and try your best to be patient, getting hard to find parts at times can be very difficult, but not impossible. 

Thank you Russ for having tried to help me in many ways. I'll try my best to be as patient as I can 😊 (I'm quite bad at that). I really hope that Christ will soon make the porcelain plate again. 

1 hour ago, Liem Nguyen said:

Thank you Russ for having tried to help me in many ways. I'll try my best to be as patient as I can 😊 (I'm quite bad at that). I really hope that Christ will soon make the porcelain plate again. 

Paul Graves did a very neat job with phenolic. Your call if you can't wait for factory porcelain.

7_131628_240000000.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...