Mystery Kenmore

Larry Hancock

Went on a mini vaca last week with my fiance Cheri.  As with any of our excursions, we quickly discard what most consider priorities, like ETA's, in pursuit of antique stores, flea markets and estate/yard sales.  The challenge often becomes can we fit what we've bought along the way in the car and not have to sacrifice luggage or each other.

This trip started off with a planned stop to visit our good friends Pete and Lora Hahn.  Pete had picked up some goodies for me in his area and at Fan Fair.  Thanks Pete and Lora.  Good to see you both again.  After that we started chasing down antiques stores and checking online for items for sale in the area.  Cheri is a fan geek's God send.  If it's out there, she'll find it.  We didn't even get out of Tennessee until we'd scored a major fan that I had been wanting.  I post that another day.

We arrived at our destination hotel late that evening and after just a few hours sleep we were up and at it again.  Fast forward 3 days...  As with most vacations ours too came to an end far too soon and our departure was at hand.  We weren't on the road long at all before my soulmate and navigator had planned several promising stops that we'd missed toward the end of our original trip due to it being past closing time etc... 

We collect many things beside fans, as I'm sure all of you can say, and on this trip there were several scores that really got the adrenaline going, but I'm going to keep this story fan related. 

We'd been in this area a little over a year ago and I still remembered one fan that I passed on that I regretted, so we pulled into the parking area and went inside and to my happiness it was still there!!  Perched up on a shelf over the door, covered in dust, looking at me as if to say, "You forgot me, take me home!"  After visiting with the shop owner and her mother for a bit, we browsed the remaining contents and piled a small grouping of fantastic things on the counter.  I then turned to the owner and said, "Now how much is it going to take to get that fan up there in my car?"  She looked at me like I'd tried to purchase her only child...  She told me that she used that fan and didn't really care if she sold it.  I asked, "how much?" and if she could do any better to which I got the typical 10% retort.  Now I can't aptly describe for you the horror on her face when I said, "OK!"  She looked at me sternly and said, "I think you better keep shopping..."  I laughed a little, you know the kind that tapers off to a nervous chuckle, then I did what she said.  People are so fun sometimes.

We had a great time there visiting with those two ladies and after more laughs we loaded the rest of the items in the car and headed North.

So on to the fan.  It is as you can see marked Kenmore Hi-Velocity.  I am not sure who made it but my educated guess is Signal based on blade shape.  I have asked a few close friends, but no one thus fare has seen one.  Probably because it is made largely of plastic(shroud and air vanes) and didn't last too long in harsh environments with heavy use.  If you know any info about it please post below.  Thanks for listening to my tale.

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

Edited by Larry Hancock
  • Like 1

That is in really good shape. I think those were made by hunter it looks almost identical to what is shown here in this video.

Edited by Alex Koh
  • Like 1

It could be...  In fact I had a friend speculate that idea as well.  I would like to see a Hunter closer to look for overwhelming similarities.  I recently purchased a Kenmore hassock fan, that I'm sure you've all seen, the red colored one...  It was no doubt made by Signal, and it has very similar blades to my little green friend.

The style of blade looks similar to signal but I feel its hard to tell. Even then I haven't seen signal make anything like the fan you have shown above.

VINTAGE-SEARS-KENMORE-360-HASSOCK-FLOOR-FAN-3-SPEED-_1.jpg

On 10/6/2021 at 11:57 AM, Larry Hancock said:

Ads from Mike Kearns

Kenmore Hi-Velocity 1958 - The_Atlanta_Constitution_Thu__Jul_10__1958_.jpg

That fan in the ad has (or appears to have) 3 blades..

..also, check out the carry handle, it's metal as opposed to plastic moulded in-frame.

Not to mention those square shape tilt adjustment knobs 🤔

16 hours ago, Bejon A. Boranian said:

That fan in the ad has (or appears to have) 3 blades..

..also, check out the carry handle, it's metal as opposed to plastic moulded in-frame.

Not to mention those square shape tilt adjustment knobs 🤔

I didn't notice that.  Odd...  Good eye!