My custom color Century closed top

Tom Dreesen

I get bored with black so did a Century closed top in copper/hammered copper (with custom Ash blades) in my living room. 

20230129_142250.jpg

20230225_161749.jpg

20230225_161753.jpg

20230225_161809.jpg

Edited by Tom Dreesen
  • Like 2

Very nice, gold/brass is the second color for Centruy fans anyways.  Looks good.  I am amazed you hung that fan, they weigh in at what, 75lb maybe?  Just the motor alone.  A real "crusher" fan 😃

Chris, the Centurys are in the heavyweight division fer sure.  Commonly found "Butterballs" are the full size Daytons at close to 80 lbs.  I had this one over my bed in New Orleans many moons ago.  I installed it and I slept under it.  

Dayton CF hanger.JPG

dayton CF.jpg

Edited by Tom Dreesen
  • Like 1

Yes, it was actually an old gas line as the house was pre-electric.  When I took down the crappy light that was there, I didn't realize this was a capped gas line.  I took the cap off and finally figured out it was a gas line.  Fortunately long ago taken out of the gas feed, otherwise, I would have needed clean pants.  I rigged up a hook through a drilled cap and screwed it back on after making sure the pipe was well attached in the attic.  And that is a different story.  The original heat was coal burning fireplaces.  You can't imaging the soot in the attic, or climbing over knob and tube wiring and getting a jolt and dropping the flashlight which went off.  Pitch black lying on your back not knowing where that exposed live wire is.  Ah, fun times.

Hot dang that is some adventure!  Sounds amazing that the house was still standing and had not burned down over the years.  I recall my parents house which was 1930s had the tube and knob wiring.  Went up a couple times (turned off power).  Was no fun, I think thd insulation was asbestos too.  Also surprised they would vent the heating exhaust into the attic, if a spark went into that it would go off like a bomb!  Thanks for sharing the stories!

I heard from Andrew that he made a pipe loop harness and looped ot over a rafter to hang a fan.  

On 8/9/2023 at 12:15 PM, Chris Jacobsen said:

Hot dang that is some adventure!  Sounds amazing that the house was still standing and had not burned down over the years.  I recall my parents house which was 1930s had the tube and knob wiring.  Went up a couple times (turned off power).  Was no fun, I think thd insulation was asbestos too.  Also surprised they would vent the heating exhaust into the attic, if a spark went into that it would go off like a bomb!  Thanks for sharing the stories!

I heard from Andrew that he made a pipe loop harness and looped ot over a rafter to hang a fan.  

That's the original longnose in my house. It's just a galvanized T off the downrod with about 18" pipes sitting on top of the rafters. I have a circulator mounted with a 2x4 screwed to the top of the rafters. Pipe just comes up through the ceiling into a hook in a box. So I guess technically it's up to code since the wires are boxed.