Need help identifing this fan

Rod Haynes

6 hours ago, Rod Haynes said:

tag says Style 215 Guth Fan.

You just answered your own question right there, its a Guth Model 215 Fandolier, they dated to about the 1920s or so, they were mainly used in trains and on boats and sometimes used in residential applications as well, they are kind of rare birds so to speak.

I have seen this style of fan around before, I could never figure out how it directed the air flow.  Is it drawn in from the bottom and pushes out radially all around?  Like an air circulator?

35 minutes ago, Rod Haynes said:

Chris

It pulls from the top and blows down and out.

Oh ok, so the bottom fins are for directing the air not actually the rotating blades?  

17 minutes ago, Rod Rogers said:

Actually, these draw air from below center, and blow out to the sides. Idea was that it didn't cool food on the table.

~Sparky~

This is what I originally figured.  I saw one at was supposedly used in a department store, it was on a very long shaft but I really could not understand how it would be used in a department store unless it just circulated the air.  Still a mystery how the one I saw was used but at least you helped clarify its operation.  Thanks!

On 8/10/2023 at 3:56 PM, Chris Jacobsen said:

This is what I originally figured.  I saw one at was supposedly used in a department store, it was on a very long shaft but I really could not understand how it would be used in a department store unless it just circulated the air.  Still a mystery how the one I saw was used but at least you helped clarify its operation.  Thanks!

Well perhaps it was used in the department store's dining court? 

22 hours ago, Levi Mevis said:

Well perhaps it was used in the department store's dining court? 

Hard to say, I think it was Walgreens.  Would have to be pretty close overhead to get down draft from it.  One of those weird mysteries forgotten by time.

On 8/15/2023 at 2:36 PM, Chris Jacobsen said:

Hard to say, I think it was Walgreens.  Would have to be pretty close overhead to get down draft from it.  One of those weird mysteries forgotten by time.

Well Pharmacies back in the day used to have soda fountains in them...