Mobilaire 'Hexagonal' Motor Repair

Bruce Nichols

Hello Folks!

Thanks for admitting me to your group!   I hope to keep my addiction under control.... Maybe.

I've got a Mobilaire with the 'Hexagonal' Motor.  It's new to me and i fell in love with it at first sight.  Brought it 700 miles home.

Anyway, it's an unmolested original which is my preference (I also do old Cars & Trucks) but after replacing the Power Cord, the motor does run.  However it's slow and is giving off a 'Toasty' aroma!  Even a few wisps of smoke.   So, what are my options?  Is there a 'Rebuild Service' I can send the motor to?  Hunt for a 'good' used motor?

Ready for your advice!

Thanks, Bruce

The hexagon motors were problematic, but most of the ones I have seen were switch related. The switch would short & feed power to low & high. If yours has a capacitor, replace it, but so far, doesn’t sound good on the motor. If you need a rewind, check with Mark Olson or Rick Huckabee, but understand rewinds are not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE THE SAME FAN SAME PROBLEM, NICE SHAPE AND TOASTED MOTOR. THIS ONE IN THE PHOTOS IS AN AM17 AND DOES NOT HAVE THE "HEX" MOTOR EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT, IT HAS A BOX FAN MOTOR IN A SQUARE FRAME THAT SITS ON AN ANGLE. THE TRUE HEX MOTOR IS 6 SIDED ON THE MOTOR HOUSING. THE WINDINGS CAN COME LOOSE DUE TO THEIR MOUNTING AND POOF! CAUSE A PROBLEM . I AM GOING TO TRY TO REPLACE THE MOTOR IN MY AM17. THE HARD PART IS FINDING A 1/2" SHAFT WITH REVERSE ROTATION... I HAVE ONE MOTOR WITH A CHANGEABLE STATOR I AM GOING TO TRY THAT 

GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS! 

9 hours ago, Tom Zapf said:

THE HARD PART IS FINDING A 1/2" SHAFT WITH REVERSE ROTATION...

They make shaft reducer bushings in the event you find a CCW motor with smaller shaft. 

Z37sotfo5oy.jpg