Antique porch fan?

Kathy Kaufman

I’ve looked long and hard for new porch fans that don’t suck and aren’t hideous.  This is what I will buy for my long, narrow porch.  It’s not antique, but I like the look of this damp-rated 30” 6-wing. Enclosed modern motor (fake vents), vintage finish/appearance, low mounting profile with short down rod and low profile schoolhouse light kit available.  So much cheaper and easier than finding and restoring three matched antiques.  No insect nests or maintenance headaches either.  Besides, the next owner will rip out any antiques immediately or at best not maintain them.IMG_1872.thumb.png.d39dc205bf10377e9588190f8b6d4b16.png

Edited by Doug Wendel
  • Like 1

I've never had an outdoor fan and I'm curious about the problem with insects. Do they get inside?? Is that something that's unique to antique fans? 

• 3 months later...

Circling back to this project after a while ...

I finally bought a Century ceiling fan with no blades on craigslist and I'm wondering what kind of blades would be compatible. 

I'd hate to go with plastic. If I could find brass blades -- say from a table fan -- would they be compatible with a ceiling fan? Is brass suitable a damp location?

Thanks in advance for sharing insights/expertise. 

46 minutes ago, Kathy Kaufman said:

Circling back to this project after a while ...

I finally bought a Century ceiling fan with no blades on craigslist and I'm wondering what kind of blades would be compatible. 

I'd hate to go with plastic. If I could find brass blades -- say from a table fan -- would they be compatible with a ceiling fan? Is brass suitable a damp location?

Thanks in advance for sharing insights/expertise. 

Show the fan please. You will need the correct mounting irons, screws or bolts if missing, and the correct wood blades, if this is an antique/early Century CF. General the diameter of these is over 3' and they would not be made in brass.

Edited by Paul Michael

1 hour ago, Paul Michael said:

Show the fan please. You will need the correct mounting irons, screws or bolts if missing, and the correct wood blades, if this is an antique/early Century CF. General the diameter of these is over 3' and they would not be made in brass.

It's  a model 176. Very bare bones. Pics attached here. 

Century fan 1.jpg

Century fan 2.jpg

Century fan 3.jpg

• Like 1

Post. WANTED here for Century 176 irons and blades; and keep looking on eBay. The blades from several years will fit, but you need the Century ones. There should be posts with photos if you search here. You might want to verify that it works first, I would certainly recommend disassemble, cleaning, relubrification and rewire ng: those wires look dangerous. Also, I believe this model has a switch in the bottom, you need to also make sure it is there and verify it works too. They are often broken or missing. . .  This is not a 'plug and play' purchase!

Edited by Paul Michael
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul Michael said:

Post. WANTED here for Century 176 irons and blades; and keep looking on eBay. The blades from several years will fit, but you need the Century ones. There should be posts with photos if you search here. You might want to verify that it works first, I would certainly recommend disassemble, cleaning, relubrification and rewire ng: those wires look dangerous. Also, I believe this model has a switch in the bottom, you need to also make sure it is there and verify it works too. They are often broken or missing. . .  This is not a 'plug and play' purchase!

I bought the Century fan locally when it popped up on craigslist for very little money (~$30). Since there's no way I have the skills to do this myself -- and it's a bit too big for my porch -- I think I'll move along and keep looking for a non-Do-it-yourselfer. 

20 hours ago, Arjun Saini said:

Speaking of ceiling fans I know a friend selling these IMG_6510.thumb.jpeg.8c112d224f4a4e22a932c60ab9e76f47.jpeg mint in the box 36 inch originals 

@Arjun Saini, I'd be interested in these to replace the 52-inch originals we have in our bedrooms, which are way too big. Do you know if they have them in bronze? 

31 minutes ago, Kathy Kaufman said:

@Arjun Saini, I'd be interested in these to replace the 52-inch originals we have in our bedrooms, which are way too big. Do you know if they have them in bronze? 

No more brass unfortunately I bought the last 36 inch idk if he has any 52s

1 hour ago, Arjun Saini said:

No more brass unfortunately I bought the last 36 inch idk if he has any 52s

I actually want to replace my 52s with 36s, and I'd be looking for a darker finish than brass. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:13 AM, Kathy Kaufman said:

I actually want to replace my 52s with 36s, and I'd be looking for a darker finish than brass. 

Kathy, contact me at andrew@buchlerfirm.com. I might be able to help you.