Scrap dumpster Century save

Andrew Block

Fished this out of a scrap dumpster a couple months ago. It was from a guy who obviously tinkered based on the stuff that was in there but for some reason he’d removed the bearing stack, so the rotor had banged against the stator and scraped it up. 

It spent a couple days on DC power to dry the windings out from rain and went from having a direct short to ground, to have an almost perfect reading. Then it got several heavy coats of varnish to repair the damage to the windings. Then I took a chance with blasting and paint. 

Finally dug in my parts bins and found a compatible set of bearings and an OEM lock nut. Put her all together and here she is. Has the factory switch and coil with nice separation between speeds. High is sort of scary on these.

These are a very high quality antique fan.

• Like 4

Paul, the switch rod on those is about 8" long. With that length they easily get pushed to the side, so Century added a washer with a small spring to center it. Those springs get weak.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stan Adams said:

Paul, the switch rod on those is about 8" long. With that length they easily get pushed to the side, so Century added a washer with a small spring to center it. Those springs get weak.

Yes.... I've been looking for the switch and rod for mine.... have a lead on a switch, but need dimension/photos to copy the rod... is your two sections or one? (I thought the escutcheon centered the switch knob-end!)

Edited by Paul Michael

That is not the correct switch knob. This one had an intact switch and rod, but the knob had lost its insulation and only the brass nut was left. The switch itself is slighty bent off center, probably from the thing being chucked into a dumpster. I could fix it but I didn't really want to take it apart plus the switch is fairly delicate. I'm considering it a win that it's even intact.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Block said:

That is not the correct switch knob. This one had an intact switch and rod, but the knob had lost its insulation and only the brass nut was left. The switch itself is slighty bent off center, probably from the thing being chucked into a dumpster. I could fix it but I didn't really want to take it apart plus the switch is fairly delicate. I'm considering it a win that it's even intact.

TEARING THEM DOWN is al the fun!!!

11 minutes ago, Paul Michael said:

TEARING THEM DOWN is al the fun!!!

Meh, finding them is all the fun. Working on them is tedious sometimes 😄

Got one of these in not knowing how heavy it was, it would probably be a bit heavy for our more modern rafters being it weighs in at about 80lbs?  Need to consider we habe earthquakes too.  

BTW, didn't hear back about Hunter blades if you have them.  Also if you have a single Diehl spike blade, really need one as one of mine os missing.  Anyways, great score!  Probably worth 1-2K now.

On 8/14/2023 at 8:11 AM, Stan Adams said:

You really needed another ceiling fan, but those Centurys are fine & move some serious air.

Always need another ceiling fan or 20 😀😀

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:23 PM, Andrew Block said:

High is sort of scary on these.

Especially with the blades balanced so nicely. I’d be more concerned about it torquing out.