Vortalex stand problems

Arjun Saini

The cap terminals are the wires coming out.  Replace with appropriate rating and value AC film cap.  Probably 250V, I cannot read the value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Jacobsen said:

The cap terminals are the wires coming out.  Replace with appropriate rating and value AC film cap.  Probably 250V, I cannot read the value.

The cap terminals are the wires coming out? 2mfd 250v cap

Just now, Arjun Saini said:

The cap terminals are the wires coming out? 2mfd 250v cap

Yes the two wires going to the rest of the fan are the cap terminals.  Just put the new 2mF 250Vac cap over those.  

• Like 1

Just be careful handling that old capacitor, they contain some pretty toxic stuff, called PCBs (and no that doesn't stand for printed circuit boards.)

21 hours ago, James Landry said:

...you could always re-stuff:

20230815_231637.thumb.jpg.471ad566ce105da9ca650aeec2bda096.jpg20230815_231522.thumb.jpg.1521389cfe728406ebbb6a77e0893af1.jpg20230816_204914.thumb.jpg.d0907cdeb5325c11a63b515fc87416f3.jpg

Would have to contend with the toxic tar, depends though, I know some people will restuff every single wax capacitor in a vintage radio, takes forever...  though not toxic

3 minutes ago, Chris Jacobsen said:

Would have to contend with the toxic tar, depends though, I know some people will restuff every single wax capacitor in a vintage radio, takes forever...  though not toxic

I have done that with every radio & jukebox I've ever recapped (MANY). Should be oil within, which could be opened up, drained, cleaned and re-stuffed. Kind of overkill, yes, but this procedure is only reserved for those of us deemed "anal retentive". Lol. Disconnect the wires from the bathtub and install the new cap wherever convenient

6 hours ago, James Landry said:

I have done that with every radio & jukebox I've ever recapped (MANY). Should be oil within, which could be opened up, drained, cleaned and re-stuffed. Kind of overkill, yes, but this procedure is only reserved for those of us deemed "anal retentive". Lol. Disconnect the wires from the bathtub and install the new cap wherever convenient

I have thought about trying to restuff wax caps but the process is just too time consuming for the volume of radios I want tp get done in one lifetime so I just keep the originals in a baggy under the chassis for the next collector.  I would probably do the latter, save the otiginal and bypass it.  Carcinogenic oils are not my cup of tea and I still have a toddler around.

Do you still need a wiring diagram?  I finished a 16” version of this fan in May. I replaced the 3 uf capacitor with a 2.5uf to slow it down a bit. I have a crude circuit diagram if you still need one. 
Reassembling the circuit in that base is a tight challenge!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

Do you still need a wiring diagram?  I finished a 16” version of this fan in May. I replaced the 3 uf capacitor with a 2.5uf to slow it down a bit. I have a crude circuit diagram if you still need one. 
Reassembling the circuit in that base is a tight challenge!

Yep!

5 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

Like I said, a crude circuit diagram but accurate. And mine is a 16” fan, not 12” .

IMG_7373.jpeg

IMG_6971.jpeg

Mine is also 16

Are you sure your original capacitor is a 2uf?

Look at my original capacitor, blow up this photo and look at the capacitor rating. It’s clearly 3 uf. I mention this because a 2uf capacitor may be too low a rating to spin up at a decent rate. Just trying to help here. I went from my original 3uf to a 2.5uf to slow the spinning down slightly 👌

IMG_6917.jpeg

2 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

Look at my original capacitor, blow up this photo and look at the capacitor rating. It’s clearly 3 uf. I mention this because a 2uf capacitor may be too low a rating to spin up at a decent rate. Just trying to help here. I went from my original 3uf to a 2.5uf to slow the spinning down slightly 👌

IMG_6917.jpeg

Mine is a 2

2 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

IMG_6917.jpeg I looked over the diagram and I looked at my fan and I didn’t feel comfortable doing it 

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Arjun Saini said:

Update I tore Down the fan and it’s a giant mess. Anyone know how to get the stators out?

Unfortunately these fan have the stators pressed into the case so you can't get the stators out without damaging the housing, these fans are designed very similar to how the old Westinghouse Stamp Steel fans were done (and also the the Darth Vader PowerAire Fans, which were a competitor to the GE Vortalex Fans from the same time period.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Levi Mevis said:

Unfortunately these fan have the stators pressed into the case so you can't get the stators out without damaging the housing, these fans are designed very similar to how the old Westinghouse Stamp Steel fans were done (and also the the Darth Vader PowerAire Fans, which were a competitor to the GE Vortalex Fans from the same time period.)

Dang it 

3 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Why do you need the stator out? Find the leads & solder new connections 

Gotta paint the fan